Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun "Destination" Training? Training Vacation Spots?

Gun "Destination" Training? Training Vacation Spots?

So I've managed to accumulate a ton of vacation time, and at least a little disposable income for this year, and thinking that I might want to spend some of both this year on gun-related experiences. In the past, I've mostly shot competition; plenty of USPSA/IDPA, 3 Gun, and PRS, but I've not taken any training. I'd like to fix that a little while taking a fun, maybe a bit frivolous, vacation at the same time. I'm looking for:

1. I'd like to go someplace interesting. I'm in New England, and while NH has some serious options, it's my backyard. A change of scenery might be welcome.
    2. I'd like to learn something, but I can run Dot Torture myself, I own a shot timer, and I don't need someone to tell me that I should dry-fire more.
    3. Pistol or Bolt Gun preferred. I can run a shotgun and carbine, but the relevance to me isn't as high. I don't own a chest rig and I don't operate operationally.
    4. That said, totally tactical stuff I'll never use is totally on the table if it satisfies the "vacation" portion of the objective.

Some things I'm considering:

1. Rifles Only, Precision Rifle or High Angle Shooting Class
    Pros: Mountains in Colorado sounds very cool. Bolt guns and interesting problems.
    Cons: Scheduling looks rare. Some gear issues (suppressed rifle required for High Angle), some prerequisite issues I'd have to either talk my way past or take another class for.

2. 250 Handgun at Gunsight.
    Pros: Arizona desert sounds very cool. So much history tied up in this place and this class.
    Cons: Worried it might be a little too historical.

3. SouthNarc's AMIS
    Pros: Does sometimes happen in places I might want to travel to. Thinking about things other than the fundamentals. I have almost no exposure to tactical problems.
    Cons: I don't currently own anything airsoft, or know anything about setting up an airsoft pistol to resemble any of the guns I actually carry.

4. Rogers Handgun (Probably Advanced?)
    Pros: Tons of History in this place, too. The Rogers Course is pretty famous.
    Cons: Not sure.

Any thoughts on these? Thoughts on what you might do in my place?

Site Supporter
    I've never traveled to take a course and have no first hand experience with the options you mentioned, but of those, I'd go to Rogers. I've spent a fair amount of time in North Georgia (and really like it), but that destination has less "vacation" appeal than parts of the country I'm less familiar with. However, Rogers would likely be the most relevant to my attempts at developing as a shooter, and that would win out over the other considerations.

Do you hunt? You could also plan a hunting trip to somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I've never traveled to take a course and have no first hand experience with the options you mentioned, but of those, I'd go to Rogers. I've spent a fair amount of time in North Georgia (and really like it), but that destination has less "vacation" appeal than parts of the country I'm less familiar with. However, Rogers would likely be the most relevant to my attempts at developing as a shooter, and that would win out over the other considerations.

Do you hunt? You could also plan a hunting trip to somewhere...
    That's my perception of Rogers, as well.

Like a lot of mostly-urban New Englanders, I've done most of my hunting in Whole Foods. It's not out of the question, but it'd take an embarrassing amount of hand-holding.

Thunder ranch for another long-distance bolt gun option? Lovely terrain, ties to legendary history, a la Gunsite, but not *that* historical.

Just throwing it out there. May as well page @SouthNarc to answer AMIS Q’s, since he’s around this place often enough.

To bad there’s not an epic precision rifle class in Hawaii. If not for a modicum of state-level retardery, anything Hawaii would fit the vacation bill.

Vegas just isn’t the same.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Here are some other ideas that have not been mentioned yet. I have no experience with them but
    they are highly thought of.

Dead Zero Shooting, LLC was established by local sportsmen with the goal to provide a high quality, expansive shooting park. We work to provide a world-class shooting destination with everything from Sporting Clays, to the only 1,000-Yard Electronic Target Range of its kind in the world!

1195 TN-111
    Spencer, TN 38585
    423-800-7758

https://www.deadzeroshooting.com/

The mission of the Alliance Police Department Training Division is to provide efficient, cost effective and proven training to Law Enforcement and the Military. Our Instructors, as well as our industry partners and guest instructors will never sacrifice safety and are very mindful that the training you receive can mean the difference between life and death on the street.
    (I know that the open enrollment classes here are highly thought of)

https://alliancepolicetraining.com/e...-courses/list/

Tactical Performance Center, Handgun Mastery class
    St George, Utah

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-Mastery-class

https://classes.tacticalperformancec...ndgun-mastery/
    "To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    3. SouthNarc's AMIS
    Pros: Does sometimes happen in places I might want to travel to. Thinking about things other than the fundamentals. I have almost no exposure to tactical problems.
    SouthNarc's complete schedule is here:

http://shivworks.com/calendar/

I see only one AMIS listed for 2019

http://shivworks.com/calendar/?tribe...ar-search=amis

AMIS (Arizona)

February 23 - February 24

Independence Training Phoenix, AZ 86314 United States
    "To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

Site Supporter
    Thunder Ranch definitely comes to mind. The Smiths are good people and it is an experience.

Vacation course makes me want to go where I couldn’t get the same experience from a traveling instructor. That makes me think of Rogers and ITTS. More interested in visiting LA as an ancillary vacation activity, so I would choose ITTS.
    “The lion cannot protect himself from traps, and the fox cannot defend himself from wolves. One must therefore be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves.” Machiavelli, The Prince

A vote for Gunsite's 250 course.

Historical? Yes, but it's more about mindset than shooting overall, though you do a lot of shooting, and they tend to send their instructors to lots of "new"/"not historical" courses. So, it's not as if they are mired in 1985.

Frankly, a week's immersion in the desert creates the perfect setting to make fundamental changes in the way you think even if you are already self-defense minded.

It's transformative if you give yourself over to the process.

That being said, SouthNarc's courses are almost legendary for how good they are, and Clint Smith (Thunder Ranch) isn't getting any younger. So, you have a good problem ahead of you to solve.

Site Supporter
    If you come to GA for Rogers, you could head down to Blakely Ga for some long range shooting - Blakley GA is as rural as it gets though - the "vacation" would be the opportunity to shoot as great a distance as your rifle/optic will take you.

User Tag List