Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm 1911

I'm in the "pretty sure I'm getting a DW 9mm this summer" camp myself- either a Vigil Commander or a Guardian.

It sounds like ETM is one of the ways to go, mag wise, or am I off?
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I'm in the "pretty sure I'm getting a DW 9mm this summer" camp myself- either a Vigil Commander or a Guardian.

It sounds like ETM is one of the ways to go, mag wise, or am I off?
    I have an irrational love for the 9mm Guardian, but the ETM sticks out a lot, because there’s obviously no way to put a magwell on a bobtail.

The OEM mags always shot fine on my Guardians, but I did see the other day that Wilson has introduced a new flush fitting 9mm magazine that I would look into.

Mentioned my one 5" Wilson CQB-E 9mm before. Several years old now. Mostly run 10-rd Tripp mags. At one time (not sure if still the case or not), the tube on the Tripps was a shade longer than another popular brand (can't remember which). But that touch greater length made loading that tenth round easier, and (knock on wood) I've never had any feeding problems. Thousands of rounds, mostly cheap bulk (not particularly powerful) ammo, and it's functioned fine. Too heavy (for me) for a carry gun, but then I bought it for a range gun. But I'd certainly trust it.

Site Supporter
    What do you all think of the Springfield EMP as an option? Wasn’t it built around the 9mm?

Marginal reliability at best.

We seem to cover the same ground in every 9mm 1911 thread.

Half the thread has never seen a malfunction in a quality 9mm 1911 despite shooting thousands of rounds, and the other half has never seen a 9mm 1911 of any quality make it through a whole match without barfing.

I'm personally in the latter camp. They're a joy to shoot, but a butterfly flapping its wings in Ecuador might make something go wrong.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    We seem to cover the same ground in every 9mm 1911 thread.

Half the thread has never seen a malfunction in a quality 9mm 1911 despite shooting thousands of rounds, and the other half has never seen a 9mm 1911 of any quality make it through a whole match without barfing.

I'm personally in the latter camp. They're a joy to shoot, but a butterfly flapping its wings in Ecuador might make something go wrong.
    My Dan Wesson 9mm Valor is unaware of this and just passed the halfway point on the 2000 rnd challenge with 100% reliability so far. In fact it is over 99% over 150 rnds even with the mainspring pin retainer not reinstalled after putting on an S&A magwell. (Causes light hammer strikes). Back to 100% after reinstalling the pin.
    Last edited by TOTS; 01-27-2019 at 07:23 PM.

Indeed! My only 9mm 1911 is a 1977 Colt Combat Commander that has improbably never malfunctioned for me, despite being a used pistol from the local pawn & gun. Sample size = 1.

ETA: It was my IDPA gun for a while, and I ran a Chuck Taylor course with it, it’s not sitting around not getting shot.
    Last edited by TDA; 01-27-2019 at 07:27 PM.

Site Supporter
    I took a break from 9mm 1911s for a while because I shoot my 45s better. But I recently started shooting my 9mm Colt Commander a lot again, this time with 124gr ammo instead of the 147gr I had always used. Results are much better, and this Colt has not had a single malfunction in over a thousand rounds.

The 10-rd Wilson ETMs work well in my gun but the top round contacts the bottom of the ejector when the mag is inserted. I plan to obtain some 9-rd mags soon and see how they work. The mags Colt includes with the gun work okay but believe it or not ejection is not as consistent with them.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The SA 9mms... often have issues with disconnector drag...
    I have found this to be true in my own experience.

User Tag List