Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 9mm 1911

Site Supporter

9mm 1911

I want to purchase a 9mm 1911. I know they can be fickle. I've done a tone of research and it's been very subjective to say the least, even with the Wilson, Les Bear, Nighthawk builds. I've noticed a couple of trends, however, shooters seem happy with DW, Rock Island Amory (surprised me), and the Wilson EX9. There is a huge difference in these guns builds.

I'm an admin. guy, but I shoot a lot. The gun has to be reliable and very accurate as I am very competitive. I likely will not be rolling in the mud, but it could happen. I've carried 1911's in .45 my whole life. I get the maintenance and issues of 1911's. I'm saving up and selling other items to make this purchase. I don't want to spend a ton of money on the gun, so I can buy more ammo and magazines. I have a custom Colt Government .45, that I will carry as well. I want to compete and practice with the 9mm, but it has to be reliable enough to be carried on duty if I wanted.
    Last edited by jslaughter; 01-27-2019 at 10:21 AM.

https://pistol-forum.com/google.php?...=1756j466884j8

Dan Wesson seems to be the way to go if you don't have unlimited money to throw down.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Would you recommend Vigil 5-inch?

I would.

I've been messing around with 9mm 1911s off and on for a decade and I've had the best success across the board with 5" guns.

I’m a 9mm 1911 guy and always recommend DW or Wilson.

All nine of my 9mm 1911s have been 4.25” guns. I prefer them and have had zero issues other than a Wilson with an out of spec chamber.

I’ll bavk up the above and also throw in Springfield Armory. Their 5” 9mms typically run very well too. But DW is hands down the best performer for the price. The Vigils are very under valued, you get a lot for ~$1100.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by NPV View Post
    I’ll bavk up the above and also throw in Springfield Armory. Their 5” 9mms typically run very well too. But DW is hands down the best performer for the price. The Vigils are very under valued, you get a lot for ~$1100.
    The SA 9mms are problematic and often have issues with disconnector drag, requiring the “marvel cut” modification.

Even higher end SA 9mms such as the SACS Warren Guns have been hit or miss.

Dan Wesson all the way.

I love 9x19 1911-pattern pistols and shoot them in competition, but I cannot, in good conscience, recommend or condone a LEO carrying one. The 9x19 and the 1911-pattern gun are just not good fits for each other. The OAL of the round is too short, causing who knows how many different approaches to magazines -- and the magazines are still the weak link. Magazines will go from reliably feeding to jamming the bullet nose into the barrel ramp with no warning. The 9x19 recoil impulse does not provide as much energy as the .45 ACP, so weak recoil springs are needed. So when the guns are dirty, the slide can stop short of closure.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    I love 9x19 1911-pattern pistols and shoot them in competition, but I cannot, in good conscience, recommend or condone a LEO carrying one. The 9x19 and the 1911-pattern gun are just not good fits for each other. The OAL of the round is too short, causing who knows how many different approaches to magazines -- and the magazines are still the weak link. Magazines will go from reliably feeding to jamming the bullet nose into the barrel ramp with no warning. The 9x19 recoil impulse does not provide as much energy as the .45 ACP, so weak recoil springs are needed. So when the guns are dirty, the slide can stop short of closure.
    I adamantly, but respectfully, disagree with this.

Much of what you said was true at one time, but there has been a lot of progress with 9mm 1911’s, and the magazines, in recent years.

I spent years carrying 9mm 1911’s on duty, put tens of thousands of rounds through them, shot them competitively, in training classes, SWAT schools, etc. They were boringly reliable. Several guys at work have bought 9mm 1911’s after shooting mine, and have not had any issues either.

I just feel like I’ve owned too many of them, and have them run perfectly, for my experience to be unique.

I think the key is to spend some money and buy one from a company that knows how to build them. I really like Ed Brown guns, but won’t buy one in 9mm. One of their biggest dealers has told me on multiple occasions to steer clear, because EB just doesn’t have it figured out yet.

PM sent.

User Tag List