Thread: Unreal reaction time

Unreal reaction time

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere. I figured it deserved its own thread. Video is on Twitter but I assume you won't need an account to see it.
    https://twitter.com/Mike_TheCop/stat...016861184?s=09

Amazing discipline too that he correctly identifies the kid running towards him isn't a threat.

Alot sure can happen in 2 seconds

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

It looks as though the officer was reading the subject's body language and had his hand on his pistol anticipating a confrontation. He acted accordingly with the subject presenting a pistol and identifying the kid as a non-threat.

On some level I bet the cop recognized danger when the guy did a quick "weapons check" with his right hand towards a shoulder holster position.
    It may not have set off an immediate alarm bell like a reach towards the waist or pockets but that hand motion triggered something in the cops brain that something was about to go down.
    Last edited by JodyH; 01-27-2019 at 11:13 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Fortunate that the bad guy was close enough for the officer to deflect the guy's weapon. Good day for the Good Guys. Anyone know the backstory on this?
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

It might just be the editing but I'm a little confused. It appears that there are two camera involved. One is the officer's body cam, the other is the unit's dash cam? The second camera appears to follow the office as he moves back. Is that just editing or is this staged? I mean, it looks real enough, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Ichiban View Post
    It might just be the editing but I'm a little confused. It appears that there are two camera involved. One is the officer's body cam, the other is the unit's dash cam? The second camera appears to follow the office as he moves back. Is that just editing or is this staged? I mean, it looks real enough, but...
    The wide shot camera position/scale is keyframed/animated in post production. This is a fairly easy thing to do, and something the ABC News would do to show the incident better. They also know if they do it subtly most people wouldn't even notice it (I'm a video editor)

Last edited by fuse; 01-27-2019 at 11:51 AM.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

I'm also amazed how quickly he's on his radio calling it in.

Absolutely amazing that the kid did not get smoked running up on him from behind immediately after shots had been fired.

How many people, having just had a person literally just 1 to 2 seconds previously pulled a gun on them and attempt to murder them, react to the threat, draw and shoot the bad guy, call for help, and realize that someone is running TOWARDS them from behind, not immediately presume that that person also intends to attack them and shoot them too.

That kid has NO IDEA how lucky he is to be alive.

Having rounds go off like that w/o hearing protection, ears ringing, the cop may not of even heard the kid coming and just caught motion of a man coming in fast, spun around and dumped him, thinking he was being attacked by a second aggressor.

It would have been a reasonable thought process and one I would have had a hard time finding fault in, having watched the video.

This is a perfect example of why videos SAVE LEOs more than they hurt them.

Had that gone bad, and he dumped that kid w/o a video, he would have been crucified.

Very well done .

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    The wide shot camera position/scale is keyframed/animated in post production. This is a fairly easy thing to do, and something the ABC News would do to show the incident better. They also know if they do it subtly most people wouldn't even notice it (I'm a video editor)

Thanks for clearing that up.

I asked hoping someone knowledgeable in the field would respond as I think I wanted it to be real a little too badly.

User Tag List