Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 43X/48 Range reports

Hammertime

Glock 43X/48 Range reports

I measured my stock sights:

Glock Stock plastic sights: F: 0.190, R: 0.175

I am hitting around an 3-4 inches low at 25 yards.

For reference here are the:
    Defoor G43: F: 0.160, R: 0.175

I think it will be darn near on with the Defoor’s.

I am also continuing with the G26/48 comparison as a gun to live with. I hope that fits into the spirit of your range report thread. I camped all weekend with a G4G26 mostly AIWB, including sleeping with it on and hiking with it in a Safepacker.

Once home I swapped to the G48 in same type holster. I like it a little better AIWB. It doesn’t flop like the G26, and as far as printing, well, it prints differently. I can’t say one is better than the other. The grip makes it easier to draw AIWB.

I run with a Frequent Flyer belt right on my skin with OWB holster at 4:30. I modified my G43 Phantom running holster to accept the G48, and belted it on the skin for a while. I like the extra grip, but the extra length adds a stiffness to the right flank area that may not be ideal running. I made a similar set up with the same belt and thin Glock Sport holster for the G26 and have to say I prefer it in the 4:30 position. Again, both guns print a bit, but differently. I need to actually run with them on to test if I care about the weight compared to a G43 which is super un-noticeable, both weight and printing.
    Last edited by Doc_Glock; 01-27-2019 at 08:04 PM.

200 round indoor range session today. I didn't record times, but my first couple of bill drills from low ready came in at just over 2 seconds with some really wild shots. One was 4c2d. After about 4 bill drills I got dialed in and finished with a 1.79 5a1c. .85 .21 .18 .2 .18 .17 Also had a 1.96 6a, but did't write down the splits.

It takes more than a good grip to drive the gun straight at speed. For lack of a better way to descibe it, I envision TPC's "straight lines of force" being used to hold the front sight in the A zone during sub .2 splits.

I can't help but think that learning to hose accurately with this little piece will make me a lot better with the big Glocks.

Wife experienced one failure to lock back on empty due to thumb placement. It still hasn't been a problem for me yet.
    Last edited by cornstalker; 01-27-2019 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I may have screwed up buying a 48 instead of a 43X. I had assumed that the 48 would be better at distance, and my legacy 43 slide could always be used on the 48 lower to effectively give me a dark 43X.

My wife dispelled the notion of the 43X not being good at distance with that crazy small group at 25 and her performance on eight inch steel at 30 yards. After messing with parts, I don’t think the legacy 43 slide is as good as the 43X upper. The 43X upper has a Marksman barrel, forward serrations, a more tacky surface feel due to the 19X style slide prep, and a PVD coating. My 43 slide feels slippery by comparison and my wife has had some corrosion issues on her legacy 43 she regularly carries IWB.
    When considering the 48 vs. 43X I opted for the extra velocity and muzzle weight to help manage the muzzle a little better. Having not shot either one when I made my decision I could be wrong but I have enough experience with guns that I will be happy with my choice. However, I reserve the right to buy another gun. Also, I like the 1911 commander-esqueness and mini-G34 gen. 2 aesthetics of the 48. Glock should have made them red dot capable.

Hammertime
    I owe the stock Glock sights an apology. They seem to have windage perfect at 25 with both 147 American Eagle and S&B German made 124 grain. All hits left fully my responsibility as sights are centered. I threw one left on each run.

I took another run with the 124 grain and threw one high off target this time.

I was very pressed for time and forgot the 115 grain AE I also intended to shoot.

The hardest part for me is actually seeing the tip of the front and distinguishing it from the B8 in background. I may try an orange stick to see if I can dial in the zero better.

Defoor sights typically require a lollipop hold and that is consistent with what I think will happen once I install them.

Hammertime
    Correction: the stock plastic sights have elevation perfect for 147, not windage.

I purchased a 43X and I installed Night Fision sights (Yellow front with a white ring around the rears).

Other than that it’s bone stock.

I should have brought the 43 out with it to directly compare; I’ll do that this weekend for another 200 round range session.

Things I Noticed

It feels good in the hand

Recoil is noticeable compared to my 19X - it’s snappy but it’s controllable; “noticeable” may be a better word.

Accuracy - Superb Accuracy. I let four people shoot it and all experienced similar groups.

Here is my group at 15 yards:

It’s going to become my favorite carry piece.

And I did not see that coming.

Yes, I shoot several better at speed - 19, 19X, 17, VP9, P30, P-07, P-09, P-10C - but not one of them carry as well as the 43X and it shoots well enough that I’m willing to trade performance for concealability and convenience with this little guy.

Most of the time.

It’s perfectly sized.

I’d like to see more aggressive stippling like the FN 509 or P-10C but I’ve noticed where exactly it could use some stippling and will fix it.

I like it. I’d like to try a 48 to compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    I purchased a 43X and I installed Night Fision sights (Yellow front with a white ring around the rears).

Other than that it’s bone stock.

I should have brought the 43 out with it to directly compare; I’ll do that this weekend for another 200 round range session.

Things I Noticed

It feels good in the hand

Recoil is noticeable compared to my 19X - it’s snappy but it’s controllable; “noticeable” may be a better word.

Accuracy - Superb Accuracy. I let four people shoot it and all experienced similar groups.

Here is my group at 15 yards:

It’s going to become my favorite carry piece.

And I did not see that coming.

Yes, I shoot several better at speed - 19, 19X, 17, VP9, P30, P-07, P-09, P-10C - but not one of them carry as well as the 43X and it shoots well enough that I’m willing to trade performance for concealability and convenience with this little guy.

Most of the time.

It’s perfectly sized.

I’d like to see more aggressive stippling like the FN 509 or P-10C but I’ve noticed where exactly it could use some stippling and will fix it.

I like it. I’d like to try a 48 to compare.

Did you use the model for the 42/43, and how did you find the relationship between the front and rear notch? Their website lists the front as .140 wide and rear notch at .138 which seems tight.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Did you use the model for the 42/43, and how did you find the relationship between the front and rear notch? Their website lists the front as .140 wide and rear notch at .138 which seems tight.
    I did use the 42/43 model and it is tighter than the FBI Contract Sights picture on the 19X, for sure. But it’s useable. I’m certain that Trijicon XD-R Sights would provide a less tight sight picture as would AmeriGlo if you called them (they’ll walk you thru their selection).

There are several unresolved questions for me as to sights for the 43X and 48.

1) do the 43X and 48 require the same height front sight? In my one range session with the 48, it seemed to require a taller front sight than I would expect on a 43. No idea on the 43X.

2) do you ideally want a 42/43 scaled rear, since these 43X and 48 have thinner slides than 17/19 pistols.

3) is anyone making a “set” with a 42/43 rear and a taller than 42/43 front?

I ordered a Defoor 42/43 set and plan to try that rear with a .180 x .125 Ameriglo orange front.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

There are several unresolved questions for me as to sights for the 43X and 48.

1) do the 43X and 48 require the same height front sight? In my one range session with the 48, it seemed to require a taller front sight than I would expect on a 43. No idea on the 43X.

2) do you ideally want a 42/43 scaled rear, since these 43X and 48 have thinner slides than 17/19 pistols.

3) is anyone making a “set” with a 42/43 rear and a taller than 42/43 front?

I ordered a Defoor 42/43 set and plan to try that rear with a .180 x .125 Ameriglo orange front.
    In regards to your first question I am wondering if this is true and if it is due to the marksman barrels. I may just have to snag up a 43X to satisfy my curiosities.

As for making a set that is exactly what I am doing. I’ve got a myriad of different height sights coming to try out to see what regulates best for 147 hst with the 48's and will hopefully be able to figure some things out as of this weekend maybe today if they show up on time. I will definitely post some results when I have them. When I talked to Ameriglo they believed, "one could get away with" .165” fronts and .240” rears on the 48's. What I had on hand was the .165" front/.256" rear. POI when I tried that combo was really high at 25y something like 6" maybe a little more/less I can't remember. Personally I am thinking either a .180” with .240” will regulate reasonably well or better still .200” front with .256” rear since factory measurements are .200”/.252-.256”.

@GJM what height rear is the Defoor rear sight?

Mini rant. I really wish Ameriglo made .180T x .125W and .200T x .125W fronts with the orange square/tritium as I think that is going to be the sweet spot for my guns. I may end up having to switch to the circular outline to get the height width combo I need which sucks because they don't work well for my eyes and I prefer a sharp outline on the knife edge of my front sights.
    Last edited by Mike C; 01-29-2019 at 11:59 AM.

User Tag List