Page 27 of 51 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 43X/48 Range reports

So for a few weeks I've carried the G48, G43X, G26 and G45, IWB and AIWB. The new thin guns I can only describe as decadent. They feel like a guilty pleasure, too light and comfortable to be legit.

Last Sunday's work on one of my key benchmarks for a carry gun is getting the hits on a vertical 5x8 card at 25 yards on a tight version of the LAPD SWAT qual.

Two shots from ready in 4.0 (as seldom as I use more than 3.5 I should just change the f'kn par). Of 13 reps with the 43X I had just shy of 70% hits on the card. Not where I want to be but not a bad day. 80% plus across 10 or more iterations is a decent day for me with any gun.

For me that's the distance that I'm interested in improving. I've already seen the 43X rock the 7 yard challenge, reported earlier.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Anybody running the Vickers 42/43 slide stop in the 43X/48? I bought one and swapped it into my new G48 when I picked it up today, but upon closer inspection the G48 slide stop is different - part number is 47876 for G48/G43X instead of 33731. It's not on the official armorer's parts list yet either.

Functionally it seems fine, but there do appear to be minor physical differences between the OEM parts (namely the presence of a metal bar inside the spring on the newer 47876 slide stop) so I'm wondering if I'm risking anything by running the 48 with the Vickers 42/43 stop.

EDIT: nevermind, seems other people are doing this too. I'll throw my hat in the ring and see if it goes bust on me before Vickers Tactical can make a G43X/48 specific model, I guess.
    Last edited by einherjarvalk; 03-16-2019 at 07:58 PM.

Update: For me, at least, the Tango Down/Vickers G42/43 extended slide stop does NOT work with my 48, at least in dry fire, which is sufficient to make me concerned about it's viability for a carry gun entirely.

With an empty mag, everything works great - slide locks open, drops when the mag is out. The moment a snap cap is introduced into the equation, however, the slide stop refuses to budge until the mag is out of the gun or the slide stop is manually depressed. It will not feed the last round automatically and prematurely locks open; I'm assuming the different geometry of the new mag styles are causing the slide stop to activate before it should.

While other members seem to be having no issues with theirs in live fire, this is sufficient reason to me to cease usage and reinstall the OEM slide stop, which does exactly what it should do whether or not a snap cap is present.

Apologies for the triple post, but I wanted to elaborate on my experience with the 48 slide stop.

I did a little digging and found a side-by-side of the G43X/48 slide stop and the G43 slide stop. While they do interchange, I wasn't able to find any live fire feedback about swapping them between the two aside from a couple posts here about people having experiences with the Vickers slide stop that were much more successful than my own. Over on GlockTalk, I found this photo that I think is interesting:

G48 slide stop left, G43 right.
    Name:  1381009289894.jpg
Views: 1102
Size:  21.1 KB

Note the significantly beefier profile of the 48 series slide stop. Additionally, the spring appears to be made of a thicker gauge and is supported by an internal metal bar. At one point I recalled reading about how the newer G43X/48 series magazines seem to be more reliable in feeding than the G43 mags due to the redesigned body and stronger spring. This leads me to believe that changes in the magazine for reliability resulted in the redesigned slide stop needing to be stiffer and heavier to not prematurely lock open when used in conjunction with a G43X/G48 series magazine. This would lead to the sort of issues I experienced with the Vickers slide stop, with a single round in the magazine leaving enough of the slide lock tab exposed from the mag body to press the slide stop upwards.

As for the range report, I ran 150 rounds through the gun today (100 Blazer Brass 115 gr bulk, 50 Federal HST 147gr). I had a couple of failures with the Blazer Brass - one stovepipe and one failure to feed - which I'm going to chalk up to the weaker ammunition and the gun still being in the break-in phase (I've added a little oil but have yet to clean out the significant amount of copper anti-seize it shipped with). Once I started feeding it HSTs, it ran and ran hard. Accuracy was excellent as was shootability; despite still having a bone stock trigger and the factory plastic placeholder sights, I was able to keep the vast majority of my shots within a 4" circle at 15 yards with ease. With my Shield, this would've been an equally if not more difficult proposition, even with Dawson Precision fiber optic sights and an Apex DCAEK installed. The extra sight radius and grip length are doing wonders, so I'm very eager to see how it performs once I get some real sights on it.

Site Supporter
    Haven't live fired my 48 yet, but when dryfiring everything seems to be fine if the chamber is empty, add a dummy round or snap cap and the slide locks up after you pull the trigger. It doesn't want to cycle at all, I had to grip the slide and pretty much slam my strong hand into the web of the frame to knock it loose. Not sure if I even want to shoot it first or just call Glock to send it in.

Went to the range and fired 310 rounds through my g48 -- fiocchi, s&b, winchester NATO and HST. 0 malfunctions.

The gun shot great although it is a little snappy. I predict more range time will alleviate this but overall I'm very happy with this purchase.

For those with FB access, here is a recent photo and post from Defoor Performance Shooting.

https://www.facebook.com/30321077899...type=3&theater

His accompanying explanation:
    "My two setups for EDC, civ classes and leaching lo vis mil classes;
    Left side;
    Tenicor Velo
    Glock 43x
    Streamlight Protac 1L
    Amtac Blades Northman
    Right side;
    Tenicor Velo
    Glock 48
    Streamlight ProTac 1L- 1AA
    Northman Blades Skyking"
    Last edited by JHC; 03-18-2019 at 05:21 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I misjudged temps out at our ranges yesterday morning and was out there uncomfortably cold with hurting hands.

I hope the painfully cold hands explain my left charlies shooting my G45 on a drill of a USPSA target at 7, 15, and 25 yards.

The big shocker came when I put up the 45 and repeated the drill/reps with the 43X. I outscored the G45 with more alphas and much closer charlies without the left bias. I realize how little sense that makes. Grip dimensions in that environment is my only explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by einherjarvalk View Post
    Update: For me, at least, the Tango Down/Vickers G42/43 extended slide stop does NOT work with my 48, at least in dry fire, which is sufficient to make me concerned about it's viability for a carry gun entirely.

With an empty mag, everything works great - slide locks open, drops when the mag is out. The moment a snap cap is introduced into the equation, however, the slide stop refuses to budge until the mag is out of the gun or the slide stop is manually depressed. It will not feed the last round automatically and prematurely locks open; I'm assuming the different geometry of the new mag styles are causing the slide stop to activate before it should.

While other members seem to be having no issues with theirs in live fire, this is sufficient reason to me to cease usage and reinstall the OEM slide stop, which does exactly what it should do whether or not a snap cap is present.
    When I orginally got my 48 I installed the 43 vickers slide stop on it and I would have constant locking back of the slide during live fire. When that happens, to remove user error I go to one handed shooting and it continued. Once I put the oem back, never had another issue. Approaching 1000 rounds and that was the only issue I’ve had to date with the 48 or the 43x configuration (my 43 slide on the 48 lower)

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Haven't live fired my 48 yet, but when dryfiring everything seems to be fine if the chamber is empty, add a dummy round or snap cap and the slide locks up after you pull the trigger. It doesn't want to cycle at all, I had to grip the slide and pretty much slam my strong hand into the web of the frame to knock it loose. Not sure if I even want to shoot it first or just call Glock to send it in.
    My 19.5 and 45 do the same thing.

They both have over 1k through them without issue and have extremely good ejection patterns.

Are you using plastic or brass cased dummy rounds?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

User Tag List