Page 1 of 51 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Glock 43X/48 Range reports

Glock 43X/48 Range reports

Since the main thread is so long, thought I would start a new thread where folks can post shooting reports on the 43X/48.

Earlier today, my wife got a 43X and I got a 48. Before hitting the range, I installed a 5.0 striker spring in the 48 and sights, consisting of an Ameriglo .180 x .125 front and an Agent rear. My wife left her 43X stock, although I noted the rear OEM plastic sight was “set for a righty,” with it drifted slightly right in the dovetail.

Shooting the 48, it was hitting several inches high at 15 yards, and so it seems that at least a .190 and perhaps a .200 front will be required. There was too much light in the rear for longer range with the .125 wide front for my taste, and I will look for a different combination, probably a .140 front. I haven’t shot a full magazine through a Glock since November and it showed. Initially my shots were going left, although with more finger I got them centered. My groups were not tight at 25, although when I shot my wife’s 43X with the OEM sights, the groups tightened right up, so I think the loose rear was not giving the 48 a fair shake. I dropped my 43 upper on the 48 lower and liked how that shot — a big improvement for me over a regular 43.

My wife shot her stock 43X and really liked it. This is her seven shot group at 25 yards with Gold Dot 124+P in enough wind it was blowing her around. She is looking forward to shooting groups with it with real sights and less wind.

Name:  60E38539-C01F-4CC4-8624-57C750D2FD61.jpg
Views: 7040
Size:  29.1 KB

Here she is shooting an eight inch steel at 30 yards. Ultimately, she went 39/40 on it, which seems excellent in stock form.

No stoppages or other issues observed. We shot several hundred rounds of AE 115 ball and about 50 rounds of Gold Dot and 147 HST.

There has been some discussion of the 43X/48 vs a 26 in one or more threads. If you primarily shoot a 19/45/17/34, the 26 makes a lot of sense for commonality of holsters and mags. If you are ten round limited by regulation, I think the 43X/48 is very attractive as it draws and reloads faster for me than a 26 with its longer grip.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

GJM, Your wife shoots better at 25 yards than most of the pistol shooters I know.

What was the HST accuracy like compared to the GD?

Hammertime
    500 through my 48. Flawless function.

S&B 115 grain FMJ
    Magtech 115 grain FMJ
    Fiocchi 115 grain FMJ
    PMC Bronze 115 grain FMJ

I carry a 43 mainly for running. I am planning to do some test runs with the 43x/48 compared to a 26, but need to modify my 43 holster to accept the 48. If I can tolerate the extra weight,, I think the 48 will be preferred due to grip length. I absolutely shoot it better than a 43.

Defoor 43 sights en route so will report on how they hit. Stock Glock sights require a cover the 2” dot at 8 yds and cover the black on a B8 at 25.

You should see her with a rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by STI View Post
    What was the HST accuracy like compared to the GD?
    I didn’t do enough formal testing to say anything conclusive, and there were variables like the wind and my loose rear sight picture. That said, the 147 HST seemed happy in these pistols, as the recoil impulse felt good, and the groups I shot with it showed promise.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    500 through my 48. Flawless function.

S&B 115 grain FMJ
    Magtech 115 grain FMJ
    Fiocchi 115 grain FMJ
    PMC Bronze 115 grain FMJ

I carry a 43 mainly for running. I am planning to do some test runs with the 43x/48 compared to a 26, but need to modify my 43 holster to accept the 48. If I can tolerate the extra weight,, I think the 48 will be preferred due to grip length. I absolutely shoot it better than a 43.

Defoor 43 sights en route so will report on how they hit. Stock Glock sights require a cover the 2” dot at 8 yds and cover the black on a B8 at 25.
    That is very odd about your OEM sights hitting high, as my wife’s 43X shot high with OEM sights, and my belief that the 48 will require a .190 or .200 front also are opposite of hitting low. I measured the OEM front and it is about .165 tall by .150 wide, with a 6.1 rear. I was thinking the OEM rear or a black equivalent rear and a .180 tall by .140 wide front should regulate.

One thing I noticed, is my hands are a little sore tonight after shooting these new Glock’s. I shoot a lot, and almost daily, and don’t normally have sore hands, so I think their lighter weight and thinner grips are harder on my hands than a full size Glock or VP9.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

@GJM, the front sights on my 48's were measured at .192" and .200" the rears measured .258" and .256" if I remember correctly. They will indeed need a tall front sight. You may need an Ameriglo .220 front if you stick with the agent rears. I believe the the agent rears are .276" tall.
    Last edited by Mike C; 01-26-2019 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    One thing I noticed, is my hands are a little sore tonight after shooting these new Glock’s. I shoot a lot, and almost daily, and don’t normally have sore hands, so I think their lighter weight and thinner grips are harder on my hands than a full size Glock or VP9.
    My hands got a little torn up in a pair of back to back 200 round sessions also. I think the G48 has a place in my life due to the combination of concealability and capacity. Given the choice, I would reach for the 19x first without hesitation.

ETA: I think Talon grips will make a dramatic difference on the G48. An undercut wouldn't hurt either.
    Last edited by cornstalker; 01-26-2019 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I’m usually good for a hundred rounds in a G19 before accuracy starts to drop and another hundred before the wheels really come off, but my hands aren’t sore when I’m done. I’m done at 30-40 with a G43 and my hands ache afterwards.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

G48
    Friday, 30 rounds of 115gr Fiocchi ball, 100+ rounds Critical Duty +P 135, no problems, reasonably tight groups compared to my normal, and POI very close to POA with the Critical Duty, even with the cheezy factory sights. Painted the sights (black rear and orange front for me) last night, installed the Gadget, and ran another 100 rounds of Critical Duty which emptied my recycle bin, then 50 rounds of HST 124 +P, no problems. Biggest problem is in recoil the thing wants to torque in my hands and my recovery is slower than a G19 leading to slower splits.

I was rewarded with some groups at 10 and 25 yards that are comparable to what I can do with a G19. Ran a Vickers test last night with a B-8 at the indoor range and passed 4 out of 6 runs which is ok for me in that lower light environment.

Then finishing up today, I grabbed another baggie out of my "recycle" stack of previously carried ammo and it turned out to be Federal 9BPLE +P+ 115gr, which may well be 20 years old, it has been a long time since I carried it. I had at least 20% of those become balky on going into battery leading to light off center strikes on some rounds. I abandoned that ammo baggie for this gun, not sure what was going on there.

I have named mine "the Flounder" because it is so flat. My Warren sights are inbound. When I have them on I will continue my testing. I am going to install some 3M step tape to see if a bit of grippyness will help the recoil management.
    Last edited by fatdog; 01-26-2019 at 10:07 PM.

User Tag List