Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PCC vs CO vs Open pistol (times)

PCC guy set up a stage at our local club match last weekend. Required about 40 shots for most shooters, because of challenging steel (small, Texas star, etc.). The start position was loaded but all reloads had to come off barrels located about 15 feet from shooting areas. PCC guy started with 57 rounds and never touched a mag on a barrel. Think that might have been PCC friendly.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    The start position was loaded but all reloads had to come off barrels located about 15 feet from shooting areas.
    Unless you start next to those barrels such that you can stuff mags in pouches right away, that's just lame stage design IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Unless you start next to those barrels such that you can stuff mags in pouches right away, that's just lame stage design IMO.
    That was prohibited. All reload magazines had to go from barrel to the gun, and were not allowed to be placed in your mag pouches. I am still giving thatnstage designer crap.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    That was prohibited. All reload magazines had to go from barrel to the gun, and were not allowed to be placed in your mag pouches.
    As in it was spelled out that way in the written stage brief? Ugh, that's terrible. I suppose picking up an extra mag, keeping it in your weak hand, and shooting strong hand only (or Harries with the extra mag in place of the flashlight) until you need to make a reload was also specifically forbidden?

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    As in it was spelled out that way in the written stage brief? Ugh, that's terrible. I suppose picking up an extra mag, keeping it in your weak hand, and shooting strong hand only (or Harries with the extra mag in place of the flashlight) until you need to make a reload was also specifically forbidden?
    He said you could carry an extra mag in your mouth, which I told him was a really bad idea.

SHOT pistol match with Grauffel, Nils and more — many shot two days, so you can see the effect of minor/major and different division equipment on placement.

https://practiscore.com/results/new/73895

Site Supporter
    I pulled a Max L in that match and ran past an array. Lost a quick 20 points. Lesson learned, if you change part of your plan, rethink the rest of your plan.

I usually shoot pistol and PCC in any given match. If I shoot limited with eye correction I am about the same level as CO. But when I shoot PCC, I average over 20 percentage points better. I am so much better with PCC, no contest.

But I am no where near a GM.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

Today, I shot a steel match (not official Steel Challenge) with PCC and CO. I shot about as well with each. My total time for the match with the PCC was 45.41 and with CO was 65.78 seconds, meaning I shot 69 percent of my PCC score with CO. I spend 99 percent of my practice time with CO, and generally only shoot PCC at steel matches.

A PCC guy set up a stage at our local USPSA match today, that included:

At 35 yards, two steel and three paper at 35 yards, with two of the paper targets stacked making a partial with no delineation between the two paper targets.

Identical array on the other side of the bay at 35 yards.

Two spinners at 15 yards with a 30 second penalty for failing to spin each, later reduced to three procedurals each for failing to spin, since they couldn’t figure out how to do penalty seconds on the pad.

I spun both and made basically all A hits on the 35 yard targets, although at a lot slower pace than the PCC shooters, but it was a bloodbath for most of the pistol shooters, especially the less skilled ones. This kind of stuff is driving a big wedge between PCC and the rest of the pistol divisions.

PCC vs CO vs Open pistol (times)

This is why I’m ambivalent about PCC in USPSA. Either the stages aren’t a marksmanship challenge for a carbine, or the stages are designed for PCC, and create butthurt for a lot of shooters.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 02-16-2019 at 06:05 PM.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

One more thing. On the stage I referenced above, I was second in our squad, and needed to fire 82 rounds. It was 40 rounds before the spinners.

User Tag List