Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Store Score! Springfield GSP built by Yost!

Gun Store Score! Springfield GSP built by Yost!

While perusing a local shop I came across this gem in the display case of used guns. At first glance the pistol didn't jump out at me until I noticed the logo on the grips. Once out of the counter, I caught the logo on the right side of the slide and knew I had to buy it.

The pistol is well used and has quite a bit of holster wear. Someone gave the slide a fairly aggressive carry bevel. It doesn't look bad but was never refinished or cold blued afterwards. Night sights are all but dead and will have to be changed. The recoil spring guide is hammered from being hammered by the slide and should be replaced immediately.

My plan is to fit a new thumb safety to the gun because I don't care for the Gunsite low thumb safety. I'll also swap in a flat mainspring housing and get some new sights. As for refinish, I'm not sure yet if I should have the gun matte blued, Cerakoted black or maybe even have it NP3'ed by Robar.

I don't want to change the gun too radically or take away from the history of the piece so comments or suggestions are welcome.

PS--the gun came in a zippered carrying case with the stylized Gunsite name. Also included were three mags with Devel/Shooting Star followers. The mags are engraved with the raven and Roman numerals I, II and III.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Wow, that is nice..if it were mine I would not refinish it.

It's beautiful! I would not refinish it, but I love well-used 1911's.

What a great snag. That is the sort of catch that keeps me visiting pawn shops and rural gun stores.

I hope it brings you many years of enjoyment. What a great pistol!

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    It's beautiful! I would not refinish it, but I love well-used 1911's.
    Leaving it more or less alone is certainly an option although it still needs new sights and a new thumb safety. The low Gunsite safety just isn't doing it for me.

Replace the safety and the front sight and shoot it. It's beautiful the way it is. Don't refinish this pistol. Somebody spent a lot of time making it look like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    Somebody spent a lot of time making it look like that.
    I think they call the look "battle worn" but this was likely worn before it was fashionable.

That’s a really neat find.

I have one very similar to this one, done by Gunsite in the 90’s.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    I would refinish it to protect it.

Of the options you suggested, Cerakote would be my choice. Prices I see on the website of one certified Cerakote outfit are appealing.

Matt blue just provides places for moisture to collect. If you go with blueing, polished blue is much better at protecting the gun.

Another option would be to first apply parkerizing, and then apply a polymer spray and bake finish over the parkerizing. Parkerizing significantly enhances the adhesion of the polymer top coat, which in turn provides the corrosion protection.

That safety looks awkward and likely to be bumped on accidentally at first glance. However, I could see how it might work if the shooter always rides the safety while shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

This thread on 1911Forum has a lot of interesting information on the various incarnations of the GSP, including the ones from the time when Ted Yost ran the "Gunsite Smithy" operation. https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=207387

Since he marked the gun, Mr. Yost may have additional information on it. He would be my choice if a tune up was indicated.

User Tag List