Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Gun Store Score! Springfield GSP built by Yost!

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Disagree. I think it’s beautiful, but not too pretty to shoot, just perfect to shoot.
    I do plan on shooting it. But it won't be a primary shooter.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Something new in the realm of Gunsite 1911s:

http://lesbaer.com/Gunsite.html

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    Something new in the realm of Gunsite 1911s:

http://lesbaer.com/Gunsite.html

I need those front slide serrations like I need a third armpit.

Also, rather tight for a fighting gun. Back in the day you would take a lot of flack from the instructors at Gunsite for carrying a 1911 that tight, or one that absolutely needed a bushing wrench for takedown. (I sure did for my Springfield Professionals, and classmates with Thunder Ranch Baers did too)

The Baer Gunsite gun looks like a re-branded Baer "Thunder Ranch Special" or "Ultimate Tactical Carry". The good news is that you could (at least were able to) tweak one of those models and delete the front cocking serrations. No fix for the fit other than shooting caess of ammo.
    Last edited by farscott; 04-03-2019 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by farscott View Post
    The Baer Gunsite gun looks like a re-branded Baer "Thunder Ranch Special" or "Ultimate Tactical Carry".
    I assume these are all built to the same spec just ordered with whatever logo the purchaser wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    I need those front slide serrations like I need a third armpit.
    I feel that way about REAR slide serrations.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    I assume these are all built to the same spec just ordered with whatever logo the purchaser wants.

I think Baer stopped offering the Thunder Ranch pistol right before they started with these Gunsite pistols.

This is probably a pretty nice gun if you like Baers. Yes, having a real tight slide to frame fit goes away from traditional Gunsite thinking (as well as Colt's build philosophy). But if the gun runs it's not a big deal.

I get why some folks don't like the front serrations from an aesthetic standpoint, but they hardly ruin the pistol. And they work well for shooters who prefer to press check using that part of the slide. My guns don't have them but I wouldn't reject a gun because of them.

If those are slim grips like on most Gunsite pistols I would definitely need to change those out.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    I think Baer stopped offering the Thunder Ranch pistol right before they started with these Gunsite pistols.

This is probably a pretty nice gun if you like Baers. Yes, having a real tight slide to frame fit goes away from traditional Gunsite thinking (as well as Colt's build philosophy). But if the gun runs it's not a big deal.

I get why some folks don't like the front serrations from an aesthetic standpoint, but they hardly ruin the pistol. And they work well for shooters who prefer to press check using that part of the slide. My guns don't have them but I wouldn't reject a gun because of them.

If those are slim grips like on most Gunsite pistols I would definitely need to change those out.
    It's not an aesthetic thing- I just hate grinding away at my Lou Alessi made holsters every time I do a presentation or re-holster. It adds up. And I do press checks the same way I do every other slide manipulation, from the rear.

As far as tight fit, both my Springfield Professionals (sans front serrations, by the way) are still bank-vault tight after nearly 20 years and countless rounds. I've never had one fit-related malfunction with either one, ever. So my observation was strictly doctrinal, though I have certainly seen hot and dirty Baer TR pistols choke on more than a few occasions due to the (arguably excessively tight) fit.

But I bring this up primarily because there is (was?) a drill during the Gunsite 499 in which you lay your slide-locked pistol onto a rug on the deck, turn away, let the instructors do their thing, turn back, and solve whatever problem the instructors induced while you weren't looking. For most people, this is a type 3 malfunction, or similar.

I was amused to turn round to see that my pistol (and only my pistol) was completely field stripped. Fortunately, I had a bushing wrench in my pocket, because one generally does not manipulate a relatively fresh Springfield Pro bushing with one's fingers, especially with a cadre of amused instructors looking on.
    Last edited by Archer1440; 04-04-2019 at 08:33 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer1440 View Post
    It's not an aesthetic thing- I just hate grinding away at my Lou Alessi made holsters every time I do a presentation or re-holster. It adds up. And I do press checks the same way I do every other slide manipulation, from the rear.

As far as tight fit, both my Springfield Professionals (sans front serrations, by the way) are still bank-vault tight after nearly 20 years and countless rounds. I've never had one fit-related malfunction with either one, ever. So my observation was strictly doctrinal, though I have certainly seen hot and dirty Baer TR pistols choke on more than a few occasions due to the (arguably excessively tight) fit.

But I bring this up primarily because there is (was?) a drill during the Gunsite 499 in which you lay your slide-locked pistol onto a rug on the deck, turn away, let the instructors do their thing, turn back, and solve whatever problem the instructors induced while you weren't looking. For most people, this is a type 3 malfunction, or similar.

I was amused to turn round to see that my pistol (and only my pistol) was completely field stripped. Fortunately, I had a bushing wrench in my pocket, because one generally does not manipulate a relatively fresh Springfield Pro bushing with one's fingers, especially with a cadre of amused instructors looking on.
    LOL, man I hope you gave those guys some crap for that one.

Personally I would take one of your Pros over a Baer. Heck, I would take a Colt Special Combat Government or Custom Competition over a Baer just because I think they start with better parts. That's not to say Baer doesn't make good guns, just a preference.

If by "gave them crap" you mean winning the class shoot-off later that week with my "too tight pistol", then yeah, but of course it was all taken in good spirits, as one might expect from such a great place to train and such great instructors.

User Tag List