Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prestige Retro New Production Legacy Guns

Prestige Retro New Production Legacy Guns

The "Glock 48 as P7" thread got me thinking. There's a lot of manufactures with legacy designs that could probably make an okay buck making and selling those guns*.

H&K has their P7, S&W has the 3rd gen autos, and so forth.

First, they would need to see their market as more collector/enthusiast, and skip trying to compete with the plastic fantastics in the police contract market. Price point would be somewhere around the 1911's $1000-1400.

Second, fit and finish would need to be spot on, with all the goodies already on- though some MIM bits would be okay.

Anyway, the P7 would probably fly off the shelves. S&W would probably need to wait a few years for the old police guns to cycle through the market, then go for various classic custom shop variations.
    Just a thought.

*Colt pretty much does this already
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    As much as I would like to see the P7 come back, there is a reason these guns were discontinued.

If I had a P7 sitting in the safe next to my G19, the G19 would be carried and the P7 would sit in the safe. That makes actually buying the P7 hard to justify.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Even seen a P7, with the grip panels removed? Having cared for, and fed, P7 pistols in the mid-Eighties, I would think that the price for modern P7 would be several times higher than the low-to-mid-teens USD. I seem to recall that one reason they were discontinued is that modern production methods were not practicable. Some people say Seecamp pistols were/are “built like Swiss watches.” Well, the Seecamps were/are simple little beasts, compared to a P7.

A 21st-Century P7 would certainly be possible, but, the price would be Korth-like.

Site Supporter
    I bought a German police surplus P7 PSP back when CDNN was practically giving them away for like $500-$600 or so. Sadly, at the time I was a poor graduate student, so I only bought one.

I’m hoping, most likely in vain, that there is still some other large reserve of cheap police surplus P7s out there yet to be exploited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Site Supporter
    I keep hearing that Colt will be introducing a new Python in 2019-2020, something I thought would never happen and I'm still a bit skeptical of. If they do bring it back, it will be interesting to see if it features the original lockwork and polish. Especially since there is probably no one left at Colt who knows how to build a Python anymore.

If the new Python is even close in construction and finish to the originals it will be criticized as too expensive. If they take measures to make it more affordable it will be criticized (mercilessly) as "not a real Python".

I don't understand what people like about those squeeze cocker HKs.

What part of any of that even sounds like a good idea??

If you're not into a cheap plastic pistol, go 1911.

I bought a P7M8 new in 2008 or 2009. It was one of the last ones made. I paid $1.3k, which was around MSRP .

Inflation calculator says that's $1, 547 today.

Magazines were $80 and didn't like dropping on concrete floor ranges. The gun itself didn't like shooting more than 3-4 magazines in a row before being too hot to hold. The gas piston would occasionally seize up, requiring a mallet. The only aftermarket sights were Tru Dot and XS Big Dots. Since I don't give a shit about collecting guns I sold it for 2x what I paid and don't miss it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    I don't understand what people like about those squeeze cocker HKs.

What part of any of that even sounds like a good idea??

If you're not into a cheap plastic pistol, go 1911.
    The appeal is different.

P7s are unique and interesting relics of a bygone age, almost like a pistol from an alternate universe. Likely none will ever be made again. This imparts an ineffable “coolness” to it that either one apprehends or not.

1911s, on the other hand, are basically ubiquitous by comparison. Almost every American firearms manufacturer makes a version, and they will probably always be made somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I shot a P7 one time and while I don't think any modern pistol is inherently dangerous, they came about as close as you can get with that thing.
    Last edited by M2CattleCo; 01-27-2019 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by M2CattleCo View Post
    I shot a P7 one time and while I don't think any modern pistol is inherently dangerous, they came about as close as you can get with that thing.
    I have no horse in the race, as I am unlikely to own a P7 *or* a 1911 any time soon, but I am curious to know why you think the P7 is potentially unsafe. Is there something about its mechanical operation that makes it a greater risk for unintentional discharge than other designs?

User Tag List