Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Practicing From Concealed Holster

I'm within .25 second from an OWB and my AIWB when everything goes right.
    The difference is in how many times things don't go right and that is where OWB has a significant advantage.
    Concealed adds additional fumble opportunities which I take advantage of on occasion.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
    Concealed needs to be better defined. "IDPA concealed" vs. tuckable AIWB (what I'm wearing right now) with a tucked in shirt are two totally different things. Same thing with a deep concealed behind the hip holster under a closed front shirt.
    Precisely. _I_ don't understand how anyone can think the two situations are NOT different.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffJ View Post
    Concealed needs to be better defined. "IDPA concealed" vs. tuckable AIWB (what I'm wearing right now) with a tucked in shirt are two totally different things. Same thing with a deep concealed behind the hip holster under a closed front shirt.

Depending on how the pistol is concealed the difference might be negligible or significant
    Exactly. There are so many variables in this issue that it is very easy to be talking about very different things. What is considered "concealed", what type of holster(s) are we talking about, how to define a "significant difference" and so on. Depending on what holster I happen to pick that can make my concealed draw slower or faster than my open carry draw, as just one example.
    Last edited by David Armstrong; 03-14-2012 at 01:53 PM.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

Quote Originally Posted by JConn View Post
    There is a big difference if you want to get max speed. If you want to be proficient with both, practice both.
    IMO, slow and smooth are better than fast.

I also do not agree with the article referenced in the OP that drawing from concealed vs. drawing from a duty holster or open carry is the same thing.

They are entirely different animals, which require drastically different methods of access and thought.

Once you've cleared leather, the rest of the game remains the same, though.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.
    -General Mattis

Did the Duane Thomas article or any post on the thread say the two were the same or that there is zero difference? I hadn't thought so.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Did the Duane Thomas article or any post on the thread say the two were the same or that there is zero difference? I hadn't thought so.
    You're right.
    'Duane Thomas states "my own testing years ago convinced me there is very, very little difference, either in technique or time, between doing a concealed or unconcealed draw". ' Little difference in technique or time. Sometimes we lose sight of what was actually said.
    "PLAN FOR YOUR TRAINING TO BE A REFLECTION OF REAL LIFE INSTEAD OF HOPING THAT REAL LIFE WILL BE A REFLECTION OF YOUR TRAINING!"

In case anyone wants to read the article.
    The Intensive Handgun Skills: Speed Shooting Practice Drills
    When I give private lessons, if I need to demo, I use the student's gun. That way they don't think I'm using a tricked out SCCY to be able to shoot well.

Does Duane Thomas regularly shoot USPSA production concealed while others shoot unconcealed?
    When he does this, bet's money on it and wins, I'll believe his statement.

Here is his complete statement.

"You may or may not choose to do these drills from concealment. I don’t, since my own testing years ago convinced me there is very, very little difference, either in technique or time, between doing a concealed or unconcealed draw. Some might argue with me on that, but I have gone literally years without practicing a concealed draw and then had absolutely no problem doing one when required, so I’ll stand by that statement."

I'm not sure how not practicing one for years, then successfully completing one, translates to very little difference in technique or time.

Duane's been writing about shooting for many years. He is more of an expert on that than I am. But when he devotes 116 words to how it's just as fast to start a ready position drill with the gun on safe as with it off safe, then starts with his finger on the trigger, I kinda tune him out.

YMMV,
    Gringop
    Last edited by gringop; 03-16-2012 at 11:47 PM.
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

Quote Originally Posted by bcauz3y View Post
    IMO, slow and smooth are better than fast.

I also do not agree with the article referenced in the OP that drawing from concealed vs. drawing from a duty holster or open carry is the same thing.

They are entirely different animals, which require drastically different methods of access and thought.

Once you've cleared leather, the rest of the game remains the same, though.
    Ok... You're saying slow and smooth because thinking that allows you to slow down to a point where the fundamentals are executed properly. When you execute those fundamentals properly you are achieving maximum speed for that draw. However, if we are competing and you go slow and I go fast and we both get our hits, I win, game over. All I'm saying is I'll take fast any day. Either way we are both aiming for the same end goal, bullets on target as FAST as possible. Unless I'm missing something. You can't say you don't want speed, you just want those things that allow you to achieve maximum speed. It makes no sense.

Sorry, I'm tired and bored. Going to sleep now.
    Last edited by JConn; 03-16-2012 at 11:55 PM.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

I try for fast and smooth

User Tag List