Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY .22 Snap Caps?

DIY .22 Snap Caps?

I'm sure I read about DIY .22 snap caps here on P-F, but my search-fu is even worse than my frakkin memory these days. I stumbled around the hardware and electrical sections of my local Lowe's trying to find something that made sense, but no joy.

So who's got the skinny on these? Can you post pics for the tool challenged among us? Mebbe some detailed instructions, with little, easily understood words?

I love, love my new LCR, the only thing missing is the ability to dry fire more than 8 trigger pulls without breaking 6 of those cute little orange .22 sorta-snap caps.

My many thanks in advance.

#4 drywall anchor

Credit: Claude Werner... aka the tactical professor
    Last edited by SecondHandSmoke; 01-25-2019 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondHandSmoke View Post
    #4 drywall anchor

Ditto on the DIY and source.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Oh boy you guys are genius!!!! I've been looking for something better to use in my lcr 22 mag.

Anyone try out the CCI 22 mag birdshot before? Are they effective on big rattlesnakes and copperheads? I've been considering a 38 j frame for a pocket snake gun so I can still carry my primary pistol too out on the ranch. My dog and I have had entirely too many close calls these last couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by SecondHandSmoke View Post
    #4 drywall anchor

Beware, they don't last more than a handful of strikes before the plastic gives way and you're metal to metal again. My PPK/S hammered them useless after about 8-10 trigger pulls.

-------------------------------------------
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Quote Originally Posted by SkippySanchez View Post
    Beware, they don't last more than a handful of strikes before the plastic gives way and you're metal to metal again. My PPK/S hammered them useless after about 8-10 trigger pulls.

My experience with the 43c and 351c has been different. I've gotten over 100 strikes on mine before I have to replace them.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

Isn't there something about putting foam in those? My LCR has a much harder primer strike than my wife's 351c & my friend's 43c.

When my wife dry fires, I'll give her 7 fresh orange snap caps, she'll do 25+ trigger presses & I'll do another 5-10 then throw them away. My LCR can rarely go through 10 presses before it's shattered one or more of them and gotten jammed under the extractor.

Name:  orange snap caps.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  8.5 KB

May very well be no option but to buy a centerfire LCR, you guys would back me on that, yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by 10mmfanboy View Post
    Oh boy you guys are genius!!!! I've been looking for something better to use in my lcr 22 mag.

Anyone try out the CCI 22 mag birdshot before? Are they effective on big rattlesnakes and copperheads? I've been considering a 38 j frame for a pocket snake gun so I can still carry my primary pistol too out on the ranch. My dog and I have had entirely too many close calls these last couple of years.
    I've used the 22LR on a rattlesnake. Head shot is required for a quick dispatch. I've also used a .40S&W CCI shot shell, much more effective and less precision required. Range on both was around 4-6 feet. Both snakes were small.
    Last edited by Tabasco; 01-26-2019 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
    I've used the 22LR on a rattlesnake. Head shot is required for a quick dispatch. I've also used a .40S&W CCI shot shell, much more effective and less precision required. Range on both was around 4-6 feet. Both snakes were small.
    I'm guessing a head shot on snake is just as easy as center mass.

Quote Originally Posted by SkippySanchez View Post
    I'm guessing a head shot on snake is just as easy as center mass.

Pretty much, the spread is wide as the barrel is rifled. I tried COM first with the .22, and all it did is writhe in agony, so I aimed for the head and that did the trick. I wanted it still (dead) so I could take it to my neighbor for a positive ID as it was missing it's rattle. It bit my cat on the paw, which started to swell, so off to the vet we went and came back $1500 poorer. Antivenin is around $750 a pop, and cat's need to be monitored overnight as they are sensitive to it. I think he learned his lesson, now every time I shake my cocktail shaker he freaks out.
    Last edited by Tabasco; 01-26-2019 at 09:02 PM.

User Tag List