Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Instructor/Class for Technical Improvements?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    The two instructors listed for the San Antonio Op Spec class are HR Hawkins and Jerry Jones. I took their Applied Fundamentals class this past November, and it was good to go.
    Bruce gray and Jerry Jones did the last class I attended. I don’t know Hawkins but JJ is good to go.

It is also worth noting practical fundamentals is a pure technical skills class. It is not and does not try to be anything else.
    Last edited by HCM; 01-26-2019 at 08:15 PM.

I have been lucky enough to train with many awesome instructors, like Bill Rogers, Rob Leatham, Manny Bragg, JJ, Gabe and many more. Each has taught me a bunch of things.

What differentiates Tactical Performance Center and their Handgun Mastery class is their deep dive into the fundamentals of stance, grip, trigger and their Reactive Shooting Cycle. I have made more technical shooting gains in the last year than in any year I can remember, and I believe it is from taking Handgun Mastery twice at TPC and using what I learned to improve the fundamentals of my stance and grip. My wife is on a roll too, and feels the same as me.

Each instructor has a specialty, and TPC’s specially is stance, grip and their system around it.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by CalAlumnus View Post
    I actually took the TPC Handgun Mastery course last year, during one of their California visits. Candidly, I was a bit disappointed in it. They split the students into two groups, with me placed in the more advanced group. We had the same instructors for 2.5 of the 3 days, and then they swapped. The advanced group seemed to focus mostly on learning drills... Skills and techniques were described, but not effectively taught, if that makes sense.

I thought the instructors with the beginner group were significantly better. After the swap, one immediately offered some detailed tweaks to my stance and grip that was very helpful. That’s the sort of instruction I was looking for. In hindsight I wish I would have been in the beginner group.

TPC seemed to know that the advanced group hadn’t gone terribly well. They took down some times at the beginning of the class as baselines and said we’d compare at the end... But then never did.

Going forward, I’ll be reluctant to sign up for a “school” class without knowing exactly who the instructors will be.
    I am not sure how to reconcile your experience in CA with what I have learned in Utah. Utah is TPC’s base, and the only place I have trained with them at.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I am not sure how to reconcile your experience in CA with what I have learned in Utah. Utah is TPC’s base, and the only place I have trained with them at.
    Yes, part of the problem may have been taking it in CA and not Utah. This was their first time using the range and it seemed to be a bit of a learning experience (they said as much). They also left to drive back to Utah around noon on Day 3, so it wasn’t really a 3-day class. Not sure if that’s typical.

It's not TX specific, but I would add Dave Harrington to the list as well. High quantity, high quality trigger and sight technicals.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    I'll add PF-member Dr. No as a recommendation. He is a full time LEO in the Austin area and teaches (taught ?) a few classes each year at KR training.

@Dr. No

Yes, part of the problem may have been taking it in CA and not Utah. This was their first time using the range and it seemed to be a bit of a learning experience (they said as much). They also left to drive back to Utah around noon on Day 3, so it wasn’t really a 3-day class. Not sure if that’s typical.
    I have been in touch with Ken Nelson, and he is concerned and wants to make it right. Sent you a PM, so get me your info and I will get you in touch with Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    It's not TX specific, but I would add Dave Harrington to the list as well. High quantity, high quality trigger and sight technicals.
    I’ve watched Mr. Harrington shoot a couple times at my local USPSA venue here in Tampa. I wasn’t sure if he did individual instruction, but if so I sure will follow up on this later in 2019. Thanks for the reminder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I'll add PF-member Dr. No as a recommendation. He is a full time LEO in the Austin area and teaches (taught ?) a few classes each year at KR training.

@Dr. No
    Thanks bubba. I've taken a step back from teaching these days so I can focus on my career(s) but have been known to pop in to KR Training from time to time. I have done a few private lessons here and there. That being said, there are a wealth of instructors around the austin area.

I'd also throw out Black Tree Ranch - there are some great instructors there and Clark is one hell of a shot.

I'd also check into Ben Stoeger when he comes in to town at KR. He usually does a two day class that's second to none.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    Specifically, I'm looking for an "advanced fundamentals" pistol class... I want to dive deep on the mechanics of draw, grip, trigger press, reload, and so on, in a very detailed way.
    No civilian-accessible trainer does that better than John McPhee. Looks like he's in Texas in March, but even if you can't make one of his classes, look into his video analysis service.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

User Tag List