Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Seismic Ammo" 185gr 9mm

"Seismic Ammo" 185gr 9mm

https://www.recoilweb.com/seismic-di...ce-145326.html

Snake oil or interesting development?

The strange looking cases are a combination of anodized aluminium and stainless steel, presumably due to the pressure? https://seismicammo.com/images/Seism...sheet_back.JPG

I pretty much assume that anyone who talks about "knockdown power" in their ad copy is selling snake oil.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    boasting that their 9mm load boasted momentum to rival some .45 Auto loads
    It would need to be roughly 1050 fps to match a 230 gr projectile at 850 fps if my math checks out. (Momentum = velocity x mass) but since they never actually say what .45 Auto load they are equating it to, who knows?

I'm skeptical, but we'll see.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Pure unadulterated BS...

Site Supporter
    I don’t find momentum terribly useful when thinking about ballistics.
    I’m more interested in kinetic energy: mass x velocity SQUARED. So the velocity is a pretty important (and as yet, unspecified) quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I’m more interested in kinetic energy: mass x velocity SQUARED. So the velocity is a pretty important (and as yet, unspecified) quantity.

I really don't give a crap about some number that may or may not mean anything. I do care about what the bullet actually does when it hits something. All that said... I heard someone quote 950fps for this load.

Seems to me like someone is bound and determined to re-invent the 200gr "Super Police" .38 Special load ... in a 9x19 automatic pistol. With drastically high pressures (beyond +P for sure, if the 950fps figure is true) I'm sure, even with the "hybrid" casing.

Why someone would want that, I don't know.

Site Supporter
    In reviewing my post, I noticed that an element was lost as I typed the equation

Kinetic energy is 1/2 mass x velocity squared.

The “velocity squared” part was my point, but didn’t want to omit the 1/2 part.

This means that an object moving twice as fast an another has FOUR TIMES as much energy.

Momentum is pretty important if you're slapping down relatively small steel plates.

The difference in momentum and its impact (pun intended) on performance when the target is a 250lb lump of flesh in dynamic motion is pretty meaningless.
    --Josh
    “Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.” - Tacitus.

I don't see how that would be effective at all. Best I could get out of a 180 gn fp in a .40 s&w was just over a 1000 fps with a 6" barrel. They weren't a pleasure to shoot either.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I honestly don't find either to be particularly relevant. High kinetic energy is how we got the super light/super fast projectiles that have insufficient penetration, fragment early, and perform horribly in intermediate barriers. The gimmick ammo Liberty Civil Defense claims 444 ft-lbs with their 50gr 9mm. 147gr HST is 326 ft-lbs. I know which one works better.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List