Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: (Small Rant) The trials of EDC'ing handguns for the truly mobile.

Site Supporter
    It comes down to retention vs concealability. I often use a galco OWB thumbreak covered with a tee shirt when I’m doing yard work etc. ted blocker leather used to make the massad ayoob LFI holster and belt. It was an IWB thumbreak holster that used Velcro to attaché to the belt. You can place it anywhere on the belt and change the cant and depth. This is why I stopped using it. It was a pain to put on and get in the same position.

Well, two ideas:

1. Safariland Level III ALS/SLS, forgetting concealment.

2. Safepacker, made/sold by The Wilderness dot com, which hides/secures the weapon and a reload, but is, itself, not necessarily concealed.

I did my Filipino squat with my G43 AIWB from JMCK. The holster has a sponge on the back. No problems. Some people just can't carry a G19 even after giving it the old college try. Nothing wrong with a G43 if you train solely with it. Make it your own and don't look back.

Oh and yes, you need to stop jumping around all the time. Cut back on the coffee. LOL
    Last edited by JustOneGun; 01-24-2019 at 06:26 PM.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

42 + shoulder holster. Everything else is just an excuse

Site Supporter
    Like has been covered, I'm not convinced this is possible. With the 360 movement you're talking about I'm not sure I could conceal a credit card without putting things in the prison wallet.

Since you probably don't want to do that, the only thing I could come up with is something like plus a super thin retention holster and velcro holding the whole in place rather than just friction:

https://www.cabelas.com/product/reg-...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Just accept you'll be uncomfortable.

I can do cartwheels, kip ups, change my oil, replace the bilge pump in a cramped hold, etc and I weigh 220.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Re: shoulder holsters, I have found that the horizontal style with a figure 8 harness is the most comfortable, with a Galco Miami Classic being a good choice. Don’t use belt tie downs. Adjust the shoulder straps so the holster and magazine pouch are high enough up on your sides so that they do not move when you bend forward, but not so high that the lower portion is being pulled outward.
    I picked up a shoulder holster just to see how it would work, and in some ways it was better, but in others it was worse, enough so that I don't think it afforded me any measurable total improvement to my situation. Overall, I don't think it affords me any significantly greater concealment over an OWB holster on my frame, but it does offer more comfort than AIWB, as well as better retention than many AIWB rigs I've seen out there.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Hmmm. That's a tall order. But I'll take a shot.

I think I'd still go AIWB for this. Here is a G43 in a Dale Fricke Jonathan. In the deep squat, I'm aware it's there but it's not unpleasant. In my case, the deep squat will get unpleasant before this rig will I'm pretty sure.
    Note: this is a deep carrying rig, intentionally so.

But a gun this size will carry easily at 3:30 also, either OWB or IWB if you are less concerned about it printing than I would be.

Attachment 34531
    Way cool. Thanks for taking a shot (literally and figuratively). In point of fact, it's the reality that I live in a situation that allows me to more or less open carry that has permitted me to carry guns around for the most part.

AIWB and OWB strong side have been the two most successful carry methods for me, but to really bring AIWB to the fore I would need to probably go with something like you have and make it a single stack compact or subcompact sort of gun, that or pocket carry. You're showing some impressive squat skill there, but looking at the way it sits on you, I imagine I'd be pinching some nerves and possibly cutting off some circulation if I squatted the way I often do.

AIWB is probably the most concealable for me when standing and walking around, is reasonably secure, and so forth, but it introduces the following problems in my own life:

1. It is a real pain when I sit, which is where I'm often squatting on a chair, the floor, or something like this. In these cases, my knee is up under my arm pit, and that puts a lot more pressure on the nerves where the gun presses and tweaks into the body and the belt than I originally thought when I first started trying AIWB.

2. Almost all AIWB rigs are passive retention. Passive leather holster retention when very tight is about the only passive retention that I feel comfortable with. Everything else is just waiting to be knocked out of its holster for me.

Since I'm less afraid of printing at the moment, OWB strong side has proven to be the most "usable" system at the moment, but that's basically because I've mostly "given up" on any form of real concealment. Casual concealment is usually the best I get.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Yes. Concealment for stick figure gumby people is impossible, so the solution is to quit being a stick figure. Stronglifts 5x5 and old school weight lifter diet should do what you need done.
    LOL :-D I'm actually a bit overweight for my size and relatively stocky (not stick figure thin) I just move a lot and am quite flexible. I'm a bit afraid of lifting too heavy of a weight, both because of flexibility concerns, but also because at my current muscle level I'm already having trouble fitting into a lot of pants with the legs being cut the way they are nowadays. And I've literally ripped holes in some of my shirts when moving because I accidently exceeded the movement range of the shirt.

Needless to say, this isn't a problem with just guns. The struggle is real.
    Last edited by arcfide; 01-25-2019 at 11:36 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by arcfide View Post
    I picked up a shoulder holster just to see how it would work, and in some ways it was better, but in others it was worse, enough so that I don't think it afforded me any measurable total improvement to my situation. Overall, I don't think it affords me any significantly greater concealment over an OWB holster on my frame, but it does offer more comfort than AIWB, as well as better retention than many AIWB rigs I've seen out there.
    A shoulder holster was one of my main carry methods from 1996 when I first started carrying until about 2004, when I transitioned almost entirely to IWB and pocket carry. I have tried several shoulder holsters. Since 2004, I have worn one exactly once: while wearing a tuxedo as best man at my wife's brother's wedding. With no belt, the shoulder holster was the only good solution. Part of the reason I stopped using them was increased training, which made me a well-oiled machine with a belt-mounted strong side holster, but not so much with a shoulder holster.

I think everyone who is serious about carrying a gun should own a shoulder holster, but would not expect it to see frequent use. They do have some advantages when wearing a long button front overcoat, which would significantly impede access to a belt mounted holster.

User Tag List