Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: (Small Rant) The trials of EDC'ing handguns for the truly mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by STI View Post
    I eventually changed to stand at a "ready" with at least one hand over my crotch, to be a bumper over the steel ...
    When I carry AIWB, that's definitely something that I tend to do, too. The tactical bumper hand.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    Perhaps a chest holster?
    Interesting designs. Thanks for the links.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Upthread you stated that you'd picked up a shoulder rig to try, but did not specify which one, nor make/model of weapon. They are not all the same,nor are they equal.
    I would suggest that you give Sam Andrews' Solo and/or Monarch shoulder rigs a look.

http://www.andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm

I had a Solo for a Kahr that worked quite well under a sport coat, partially zipped leather flight jacket, and even loose-fitting tucked-in button up shirts.
    As Bill stated, as high in your armpit with without restricting movement or cutting off circulation works best.
    Thanks for the link. I've seen his leather holsters and they are quite nice. I didn't want to give out the make and model simply because I don't want to give anything a bad name just because I was using it as a tester. I recognize that there are very big differences in quality, but I was mostly just trying to get a physical thing with which I could do more examination of what was inherent and not inherent to the shoulder holster concept.

An OWB holster option you might explore is a Kramer horsehide pancake belt holster:

https://www.kramerleather.com/collec.../belt-scabbard

I once had one for a G27 that I'd acquired 2nd hand, the gun still "snapped" into the holster like it was Kydex instead of leather, and it was very comfortable and secure. The retention was far better than any thumb-break holster that I've used.
    Thanks again for some fine looking holster recommendations.

I'd say pocket carry is out. I definitely see that flying out of pockets. OWB retention holster either kydex or leather with a strap is only way I'd feel secure enough doing flips and stuff. That being said you will never be 100% comfortable carrying any size gun anywhere on your body. Always going to be positives and negatives to all styles of carry.

I don't have the same lifestyle as the OP, but I do have somewhat similar circumstances where I haven't figured out how to carry a gun. When I'm doing Bikram hot yoga, or hot pilates (or even the non-hot versions of those), I'm in a NPE, wearing very minimal clothing, bending and twisting, and absolutely drenched with sweat. I just don't know a way to even conceal and secure a mouse gun there. So I haven't been carrying while doing those classes. But as we've very recently seen, yoga studios are not immune to random acts of gun violence, so I'm not happy about not carrying there (I carry virtually everywhere else). I'm not confident in being able to crack this code, but it's an interesting subject.

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    I don't have the same lifestyle as the OP, but I do have somewhat similar circumstances where I haven't figured out how to carry a gun. When I'm doing Bikram hot yoga, or hot pilates (or even the non-hot versions of those), I'm in a NPE, wearing very minimal clothing, bending and twisting, and absolutely drenched with sweat. I just don't know a way to even conceal and secure a mouse gun there. So I haven't been carrying while doing those classes. But as we've very recently seen, yoga studios are not immune to random acts of gun violence, so I'm not happy about not carrying there (I carry virtually everywhere else). I'm not confident in being able to crack this code, but it's an interesting subject.
    Isn't this what tactical yoga pants were about?

Well, I went to You Tube and searched for "carrying in yoga pants". The results don't seem to be oriented towards your sex but maybe you'll find something?
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post
    Isn't this what tactical yoga pants were about?

Well, I went to You Tube and searched for "carrying in yoga pants". The results don't seem to be oriented towards your sex but maybe you'll find something?
    Thanks for the suggestion. I certainly didn't mind watching some of those videos
    As you pointed out, they're not exactly for my gender, but they also seem to be for girls that are just wearing yoga pants and not actually exercising in them.

But I'm having some ideas about off body possibilities. Folks usually have water bottle, and sometimes keys/phone nearby. Doesn't seem exactly out of place if a small fanny pack/hiking pack was near the mat with a water bottle and phone attached to it......

Although my particular studio has free lockers in the locker room, so maybe that would be a tad out of place. Got thinking to do....

I remember seeing a yoga pant or something like it with an integral holster. It was in one of Glock's commercials for their new slimline guns (I think) on one of the outdoor TV channels. The model for it was, of course, a woman but it looked easy to carry though I have no idea how well it would stand up to hard exercise, or how safe a holster it would be.
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

The simple fact is that carrying a gun isn’t for everyone. Sounds like OP falls into this category.

I've actually seen situations similar to what the OP describes (well, not the "hanging upside down" part, but most everything else) even in a fairly sedate office environment, for example IT guys. Beyond that, I once worked in a company where some of the staff had the most diverse range of duties imaginable, some of which involved moving or building large objects, scaling ladders and scaffolding, leaning over equipment, working in odd, sometimes very cramped positions with hand-held tools, squatting, kneeling, and generally being monkey-like. 15 minutes later, they might have to change out of their coveralls and sit in on a meeting with a bunch of clients, consultants, or even investors (think bankers). It was like the MythBusters lab meets Mad Men.

My job was more sedate (I was more on the Mad Men end of things), but one of my friends had that kind of role and he carried every day. He carried a smallish - but not tiny - single-stack 9mm in a very well-molded, tightly-boned leather holster just forward of his right hip. The retention was good, with a very crisp "snap" in and out. It was basically AIWB, but shifted a bit back to the 2-2:30 position. The key for him was finding a gun that was the right balance between size and shape. He hates subcompacts and for him mouseguns are a non-thing, so his choice was more like a smaller compact. It didn't hit him in the lower ribs when he bent over, and it was fairly flat to the body when twisting and leaning. I say this more to point out that it can be done, but it's not easy and it does take a lot of trial and error in finding the right combination of gun and holster. One thing that might be worth looking at is the Safariland 575, a GLS retention holster with a pivoting J-clip for IWB that can be tried in different positions around the waist. Personally, I don't really like J-clips, and the holster itself is bulky for what it is, but I do like the GLS system for movement-oriented retention (maybe not so great for a gun grab scenario, but otherwise good). It's probably not a solution in itself, but perhaps more of a proof of concept that could be used to determine what the actual solution would look like.

https://www.safariland.com/products/...model_575.html

Just some thoughts...

User Tag List