Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winchester Ranger One

No updates yet???

I just received an email from Midwest informing me that they have Ranger One ammo on sale. I had never heard of it. Any updates on this?

I did some poking around and the word on the street is that whats for sale this go round is actually rejects that are labeled ZRA9B1. SG ammo has the most honest description stating it failed QC for LE contracts as the primer sealant isnt present plus some of the casings in the boxes are marked +P when in fact the ammo is not. Some places I looked at didnt put out that disclaimer but all of them do have it posted as Z RA9B1. Buyer beware... This is actually insulting as this isnt good enough for LE but its just fine for civilians to use as a SD or HD round?
    So winchester says to box up the rejects and sell it to the general public... fuck winchester... thats BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    I did some poking around and the word on the street is that whats for sale this go round is actually rejects that are labeled ZRA9B1. SG ammo has the most honest description stating it failed QC for LE contracts as the primer sealant isnt present plus some of the casings in the boxes are marked +P when in fact the ammo is not. Some places I looked at didnt put out that disclaimer but all of them do have it posted as Z RA9B1. Buyer beware... This is actually insulting as this isnt good enough for LE but its just fine for civilians to use as a SD or HD round?
    So winchester says to box up the rejects and sell it to the general public... fuck winchester... thats BS.
    It’s not just Winchester. Most manufacturers will sell ammo to the public that’s been rejected by the original government customer. What else are they supposed to do with it? It cost a bunch of money to make. It’s up to you what you do with it. You don’t have to carry it for self defense. You can just plink with it and use it as practice ammo. If the distributor selling the reject ammo isn’t being honest about the fact that these are government contract rejects, that’s on the distributor. That’s not Winchester’s fault. As usual, SG Ammo seems to be doing the right thing and letting the customer know, which is why I really like their company and try to buy from them if they’ve got what I’m looking for in stock.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    It’s not just Winchester. Most manufacturers will sell ammo to the public that’s been rejected by the original government customer. What else are they supposed to do with it? It cost a bunch of money to make. It’s up to you what you do with it. You don’t have to carry it for self defense. You can just plink with it and use it as practice ammo. If the distributor selling the reject ammo isn’t being honest about the fact that these are government contract rejects, that’s on the distributor. That’s not Winchester’s fault. As usual, SG Ammo seems to be doing the right thing and letting the customer know, which is why I really like their company and try to buy from them if they’ve got what I’m looking for in stock.
    Good points.

Unless the QC issues pertain to the manufacture/design of a specific lot of projectiles, none of the deficiencies (lack of primer sealant, mis-marked case heads, etc.) have anything to do with how the bullet will perform.

Were it me, I'd be fine loading it in my EDC and going about my business—and I am quite possibly the worst ''ammo nerd'' on the planet.

There are myriad other options if these issues make the ZRA9B1 an undesirable choice.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

I think something like primer sealant is much more important in a law enforcement or military context than a private citizen CCW context as well. LE/Mil ammo is generally carried in magazines that are exposed to the elements like rain and snow. That’s not the case when you’re carrying concealed since your magazines and gun are under your clothing, protecting them from rain and snow. LEOs might be carrying the same ammo for a year or two depending on things like policy, frequency of quals, when the last contract ammo shipment arrived, etc. The primer sealant helps keep that ammo viable for those two years. On the CCW side, just grab another box every six months and shoot off whatever you’ve been carrying.

The mistaken stamps on the case heads is another LE/institutional user specific issue. It makes it harder to account for shell casings at a crime scene when not all the ammo your people fired had the same cases. Did this casing come from an officer, a suspect, or a bystander? Well, our guys have ammo that comes in casings that look like this. Didn’t the last shipment contain several different head stamps? Damn it. Again, not something you need to really care about in a CCW context.
    Last edited by WobblyPossum; 03-20-2023 at 08:56 AM.

…..
    Member of the General Population

I want to say that the "Z" denotes that it is rejected ammo.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    I want to say that the "Z" denotes that it is rejected ammo.
    Not necessarily. The part number for my large federal agency’s current .223 duty round starts with a Z. People used to say the same thing about part numbers that started with an X, that it meant the ammunition was factory seconds. That wasn’t correct either and the X just meant that it wasn’t a standard catalogue offering. For example, our previous .223 round started with an X. Another example, right before we stopped fielding shotguns, our duty buckshot was Federal XLE13200: a 9 pellet flitecontrol load with a velocity of 1275 fps (lower than full power but higher than low recoil). I don’t know if the Z has replaced the X to mean that the ammo isn’t a standard offering but it doesn’t automatically mean it’s a reject either.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

^^^^

Thanks for that. Learning has occurred.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

User Tag List