Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winchester Ranger One

Winchester Ranger One

Taking a break from social media.

Looks interesting... I wonder how it works in the real world.

I’d like to try this as well most of the current ranger ammo I’ve tested always plugs up and fails to expand... any ideas as to when this will be available?

The Gold Dot G2 has better penetration and expansion in Gel, Cloth, and Wallboard.
    The Gold Dot G2 has better expansion in Steel and Auto Glass.

Has ranger one been released yet? Didn't speer g2 ultimately fail and is hornady critical duty the only successful plugged ammo?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by msciresa View Post
    Has ranger one been released yet? Didn't speer g2 ultimately fail and is hornady critical duty the only successful plugged ammo?
    G2 didn’t “fail” there were some issues with early production lots which have since been resolved.

You may be referring to the FBI recently transitioning from G2 to critical duty.

When you want to buy stuff in the Govt. You usually can’t say “I want brand X.” Instead you write a description for a thing that matches “brand X” as closely as possible.

My understanding is the FBI tested Critical duty, liked it and wrote a requirement for “Hollow point, 9mm, with goo.”

In response Speer developed the G2 as their version of “Hollow point, 9mm, with goo“ submitted it and got the contract over critical duty. Why that happened, cost, production capacity etc I could not tell you.

I can tell you G2 has worked just fine in actual shootings.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    G2 didn’t “fail” there were some issues with early production lots which have since been resolved.

Thanks, HCM. Can you give us more info on that? Actual G2 shooting cases seem to be thin on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    ........My understanding is the FBI tested Critical duty, liked it and wrote a requirement for “Hollow point, 9mm, with goo.”

In response Speer developed the G2 as their version of “Hollow point, 9mm, with goo“ submitted it and got the contract over critical duty. Why that happened, cost, production capacity etc I could not tell you.

While I don’t know about the ammo contract specifically, it’s not uncommon to have multiple award IDIQ contracts when multiple vendors meet specifications. Having more than one acceptable source is good for price competition, delivery schedules and production capabilities.

I know this thread is a little dated but I recently came across the RA9B1 and cannot seem to find much info on it. Any updated info would be appreciated, TIA.

https://www.bluesheepdog.com/2019/03...r-one-le-ammo/

PENETRATION EXPANSION RETAINED WEIGHT % RETAINED WEIGHT
    Bare Gelatin 13-inches 0.644 inches 99.1 144.99 grains
    Heavy Cloth 13.7-inches 0.577 inches 99.5 145.55 grains
    Wallboard 13.1-inches 0.607 inches 99.5 145.59 grains
    Plywood 16.6-inches 0.517 inches 99.5 145.59 grains
    Steel 17.5-inches 0.476 inches 99.4 145.49 grains
    Auto Glass 12.8-inches 0.476 inches 67.5 98.75 grains

User Tag List