Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: pocket carry fail; learning from a mistake

Pangloss, what kind/style of pants do you wear to church?

I pocket carry a lot.
    But it's always one of two pistol/holster combinations carried in the same brand and style of pants.
    That's allowed me to get everything balanced just about perfectly when it comes to concealment, retention, accessibility and all day comfort while seated in a vehicle.

Dress slacks are a challenge with their slash style pocket openings and usually "slick" pocket linings.
    If I was to "go deep" in dress slacks while seated the majority of time (Church) I'd probably go ankle carry instead of pocket.
    Last edited by JodyH; 01-23-2019 at 07:45 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Yup, I'll continue to avoid pocket carry.
    Just like AIWB you're going to end up with a "box-o-holsters" before you get it right.
    For a lot of social situations where a hand inside a pocket is normal and raises no suspicions (which is the majority of them with non-LE) pocket carry is the fastest non-telegraphed draw to hit out there, AIWB isn't even close.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

I pocket carry a 642 in a PCS Blackbird quite a bit but only in jeans. There is no way that setup is coming out of my deep pocket jeans. I don't use that setup when wearing slacks. I have not tested it but I am fairly certain it would fall out under certain circumstances and it doesn't conceal well in slacks either. I pretty much stick to a Smart Carry holster for dressier occasions.

When I ordered my PCS holster I asked the owner what he recommended for jeans carry and he recommended the Blackbird. He probably recommends a different design for slacks.
    Last edited by Irelander; 01-23-2019 at 08:43 AM.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Site Supporter
    Some clothing/ holster combos don’t work well together. My dress pants are pleated just so I can carry more in my pockets. A Ritchie ankle holster for those times when I don’t want any bulges or I will be sitting a lot. A Kramer pocket holster for a S&W 642. I have tried pocket carry with small autos and I have always found them to be too difficult to draw. Small autos like a shield go IWB or in a Ritchie ankle holster. FYI I recently bought three pairs of Cabelas jeans. The front pockets are huge and deep. Like cargo pants deep. I have a lobo pocket holster for a three inch k frame that works in them. Warning - make sure the pants legs are even. All three pair of Cabelas jeans I bought ; the right leg is a 1/2 inch longer than the left. I didn’t notice until I stated wearing them. ( the lobo pocket holster is my summer cargo shorts carry a real gun- 50 state legal vacation carry; god help us when a 6 shot .38 Smith & Wesson is verboten)

Site Supporter
    Due to circumstances, pocket carry is all that I roll with. A Glock 26 and now a 42. Never an issue but my only pants are now Carhartt and previously Arborwear. Used JMCK or 5 Shot Leather.

I can see dress pants being an issue with slicker surfaces and shallower pockets.

My two reloads roll with a mag pouches on a Raven Pocket Shield, the pocket shield might help keep that thing in place.

Excellent report.

The only gun I pocket carry is a S&W 642 and it has been a long while since I have last done so. (I have Aholster, Mika, Uncle Mike pocket holsters). I just don't like the idea of potentially losing control of the gun if I should find myself other than vertical.

I don't have the same worry about any AIWB holster from DSG, JMCK or Mastermind.

Will still consider using the pocket holsters very occasionally under specific conditions and settings...(winter jacket, deep pocket cargo shorts, etc), but as a rule I have moved on from them despite their potential convenience.
    Last edited by blues; 01-23-2019 at 10:33 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

OP mentioned he eventually put the gun away in the breast pocket of his coat. Was this outerwear, or a blazer?

Church is the easiest place for me to carry I encounter. I am often wearing sweaters, and even in the height of summer I wear a light sportcoat. I noted you were uncomfortable with 4:00 carry, and I don't like it either -- but 3:00 with a sportcoat is easy peasy.

Site Supporter
    Dress slacks vary considerably depending upon the source and the design of the pants.

Pants from Eddie Bauer, L. L. Bean, and similar places will typically work well for pocket carry. If they are relaxed fit and pleated, they can even accommodate a Glock 26. The pockets are the perfect depth for carry, with almost zero danger of the gun falling out while sitting unless using a foot rest. That is why I wear them to the office most of the time.

More closely tailored pants will be limited to a Kel-Tec P3AT, Ruger LCP, or similar tiny .380. The pockets are often ridiculously shallow. I only wear these when I am wearing a sport jacket or sweater that will hide an IWB holster.
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 01-23-2019 at 03:04 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quoted when I intended to edit.
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 01-23-2019 at 03:03 PM.

User Tag List