Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: pocket carry fail; learning from a mistake

To the OP's question about making the holster "stickier" in the pocket. I'd suggest getting some of the rubber, non-slip, "woven" drawer/shelf liner material like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Grip-...r+shelf+liners

...cutting it to shape of the holster, and adhering it to the holster using contact cement. This is the basic approach used by this, generally well regarded pocket holster maker:

https://mikaspocketholsters.com/product/pocket-holster/

Good luck.

I have the cheap, Walmart soft pocket holster, it clings to the pocket. Not fancy but works great.
    I think it cost all of 6.00.

Site Supporter
    I've never really had an issue with my 340 pd. All things being equal, I would guess that a light weight revolver is going to be a little less likely to fall out. Rubber grips, cylinder and weight in the middle, rather than at the grip, etc. I think I recall an article or video by Walt Rauch discussing those as being attributes to the revolver, but I can't find it.

Good topic to keep in mind though -- thanks for posting the lesson learned. Sounds like you handled it well.

Site Supporter
    Thanks everyone for all the questions and comments.

@scw2, I'm not sure if the rig you linked to would work for me. I remember reading that thread last fall and was super impressed with the set up. It's definitely worth thinking about. As is the smartcarry holster @JHC mentioned.

@CDH, the pants were a pair of Izod pleated khakis. I've had other pants where I've worried about the pistol being visible to people standing directly behind me, but the pockets in these pants are deep enough to prevent that problem. Nevertheless, the material used in the pockets is pretty slick (too slick!).

@JAD, the jacket is a continental blazer from Orvis. I've had it just over a year, and I've really enjoyed it. It looks like it's been discontinued though.

@muzzleblast, glueing drawer/shelf liner to the outside of the holster seems like a great idea and easy to try.

I apologize if I've missed responding to any direct questions. I'll definitely give some of the suggestions a try. I'm sure some of them will work for me.

I really like these holsters for pocket carry:

https://www.remoraholsterstore.com

The same holster can also be used for IWB but I'm not a fan of them for that application

Pangloss, I use two different options when carrying at church. First, is pocket carry (Kimber Solo) using a homemade leather/kydex pocket holster. Rough side of the leather faces out and provides grippiness that helps holster stay put. Inside panel is a thin (.060') piece of kydex formed to serve as trigger cover and retention. I have used this setup for 3-4 years. When seated in dress pants it looks like a smartphone is in the pocket. Second method I have begun using over the last 6 months is ankle carry of a scandium J-frame. This setup is proving to be quicker/easier to utilize in a "sitting in church" scenario than the pocket setup.

Thank you for starting this thread, pangloss.

I've experienced the same sort of fail.

A Uncle Mike's nylon pocket holster and a S&W 38. The holster had a high-friction exterior, the idea being that it would resist positioning in the pocket, and a slick interior, so - like many nylon holsters - the only thing really keeping the revolver in the holster was gravity. The problem is this this: no amount of anything on the exterior of a holster will stop it from moving within the pocket; the best that you can hope for is to have a holster that goes back to where you want it when you (either) stand up (or) reposition it manually. That Uncle Mike's would move, but it would then get hung up (in the wrong position), and it was difficult to reposition (anywhere outside of a restroom). Ultimately, it dumped the model 38 in my pocket; both were upside down. (The solution, for me, was a Kramer horsehide pocket holster. It has a hard and slick exterior, and it has excellent primary retention. The revolver won't come out of it unless you're pulling it out. It moves within the pocket, yes, but it's easy to reposition (and discretely), and when you stand up it immediately falls back into the correct position.)

A Galco horsehide AIWB with a 'J-hook' (also for the S&W 38). It seemed to carry alright, supported as it was behind the belt, until it was time to reholster (more than once). It was a Claude Werner class, if I recall correctly, when I learned that my 'J-hook' holster really sucked, and I'd only brought two others, an ankle holster, and another one for the pocket (neither of which was suitable for the class, IIRC). I suffered through that class, fighting the J-hook the whole time, and I've hated J-hooks ever since. (I replaced it with a Kolbeson, in Kydex.)

A Raven VG2 and a G19. This happened only last year. The VG2 had always worked fine, for me, when worn up front, but this time I felt as though it wasn't concealing well enough, so I moved it to ~ 2:30. Over the course of a few days, the G19 popped out twice - no doubt caused by contact with the seatbelt - but the second time it happened I couldn't deny it. We stopped at a LGS and I bought a Blackhawk A.R.C. (That the A.R.C. is a POS, there is no doubt, but it got me home without any more drama.) I don't trust the VG2 anymore, but - then again - as Raven said when they introduced it, the VG2 was never intended for general use; it is a specialized piece of gear, made for special circumstances.
    Last edited by Wendell; 01-24-2019 at 07:22 PM.

Site Supporter
    @CDH, I've never given a lot of thought to ankle carry, but it probably would work well in this setting. What type holster are you currently using?

@Wendell, I was hoping you'd show up. I'm sorry you had the same sort of event. After I dropped my pistol, two other people dropped things before the service was over. I was very aware of people dropping things that day, but the noises seemed not to attract much attention. I've only had problems with a pocket holster rotating once or twice, and I can't remember if it was my G43 or my J-frame. The Kramer looks like a very nice holster. At this point I'm afraid to try anything with a slick exterior though.

Site Supporter
    Ankle carry is not something you will want to do all day, every day. I have used a few different ankle holsters including Alessi, C. Rusty Sherrick, and Galco, as well as some less expensive ones I can not recommend.

I have a Kramer pocket holster for my Glock 26. Both concealment and reliability of separating from the gun while drawing are considerably less than an Aholster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Pangloss, i have been using a plain old ankle holster that i got from Daltech. It has worked fine in the role of church carry. The only tidbits I would offer regarding ankle carry is make sure your pants are long enough to cover when seated and I wear black socks so the holster blends with the socks.

User Tag List