Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do We Need A Darwin Thread?

Do We Need A Darwin Thread?

I'll make the first nomination.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...021502592.html

A Taiwanese woman, known as the “Bikini Climber”, has tragically died after freezing to death following a fall.

GiGi Wu, 36, was embarking on a 25-day hike when she stumbled 65 feet down a ravine in Central Taiwan’s Yushan Mountain, Taiwan News reported.

Due to the impact of the fall, Wu sustained injuries to her leg and was unable to move, the outlet reported.

Despite her many calls for help, emergency responders were not able to immediately reach her as weather conditions were extremely dangerous.

Nearly 28 hours later, Wu was airlifted out but was pronounced dead, officials said, according to local site Liberty News.

Wu’s cause of death has not yet been revealed.

Wu gained a massive following on social media for documenting her travels, sharing photos of herself on mountaintops in bikinis.

Wu’s last post to Facebook was on Thursday. She shared a photo of a stunning mountain top view, captioning it “celebrating today.”

After the news of her death broke, a number of her followers expressed their condolences in the comment section of her photos.

“Thank you for bringing us countless beautiful scenery, blessings to your soul,” one user wrote.

“In the eyes of people who like climbing, you are a standard, professional climber, admirable! Be an angel in your favorite mountain forest,” a different user commented.
    Okie Jon
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

This afternoon I mentioned this story to my pastor. I told him that every day God chooses one idiot to serve as an example, it was her turn.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Soon?

"You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

To be fair anyone can fall. It would have been more darwin-award worthy if she had died due to exposure from climbing in the dead of winter in Wyoming.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    People dying trying to get cool selfies hardly even qualifies as news anymore, unfortunately.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    To be fair anyone can fall. It would have been more darwin-award worthy if she had died due to exposure from climbing in the dead of winter in Wyoming.
    Yeah, there a plenty of people who carelessly step off cliffs while trying to get selfies. It doesn't sound like this woman did that; it sounds like she engaged in a recognized-to-be hazardous activity she made a living at, and rolled snake-eyes this time. Dying on a mountain is a long and honorable tradition for climbers.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    Dying on a mountain is a long and honorable tradition for climbers.
    I'd bet that it's also why most of them wear pants while climbing.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I'd bet that it's also why most of them wear pants while climbing.

Okie John
    A pretty cursory search of articles shows she generally appeared to be wearing rather normal clothing during the climb.

I think this falls far more in the unfortunate tragedy side of things as opposed to some sort of irony-clad Darwinian demise.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/824571...zoo-enclosure/

Things more along the lines of man climbs into lion enclosure and is killed by lions, are Darwin worthy IMO
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

User Tag List