Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The "comfy" gun

Beretta 92. The LTT is good because of the rounded edge, but in general 92s for me.

-Cory

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I've taken the P226 to a few high round count courses. I've yet to take the 17M to anything really high round count, but it's been comfy on the couple-three hundred shots outings.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

"Comfy" is so subjective. I'd likely choose a 17.5.

Another 17.5 vote

I get no Glock knuckle with any Gen, finger grooves or not, so try before you dremel.
    Last edited by STI; 01-22-2019 at 07:06 PM.

Not advocating, but my old S&W 5906 seemed damn near recoilless compared to polymer guns.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

I like Glocks, no “knuckle “ issues. I’d say Gen4 or 5 34, 17 or 19.5
    Last edited by Norville; 01-22-2019 at 07:00 PM.

Since I have pretty gnarly carpal tunnel, anything longer than about 350 rounds in a day starts to get uncomfortable, period, regardless of gun. But for me, 1911 platforms seem to be the least uncomfortable. Be they in 9mm or .45, I don't find either particularly uncomfortable to shoot.

The big thing for me isn't just pain during a single day, it's lingering pain the day(s) after. I've not yet met a 9mm handgun that weighs <30 ounces loaded that didn't leave me hitting the Aleve for a couple of days following a 200+ round session. Lightweight revolvers are even worse offenders.

All steel guns like the Sig P220/226 and the Beretta 92 are easy shooters for me too, but lots of DA work seems to exacerbate the carpal tunnel. It's one reason I've moved away from revolvers and TDA guns the last few years.

Kahr handguns are a lone exception. Especially the polymer guns, they have very narrow grips back to front in 9mm and fit my hand exceptionally well, allowing me a very firm grip, without having to grip the living shit out of the gun. The end result is not only a very accurate shooting gun for me, but one that is easily controlled and doesn't tend to leave me hurting. I'll feel it the next day, but it's a dull ache as opposed to sharp, excruciating pain, which doesn't compromise my shooting hand or ability to continue shooting. Unlike say...post 100-rounds of airweight J-frame practice...which for a while left me unable to dryfire a DA trigger for weeks after a live fire session, now it's just measured in a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    What pistol, assuming common defensive caliber's, would you choose for an extended shooting session, such as a high volume course over a relatively short period of time? This assumes a basically stock pistol, and not one that has been significantly recontoured, though replacing grip panels or other minor control changes are OK.

Take into account things like felt/perceived recoil, "Glock knuckle", HK trigger trough pinch, lots of reloads with a single stack like a 1911, lots of decocking with a SIG or Beretta TDA, etc.

In addition, if there is a pistol you otherwise really like, but has some comfort oddity, please feel free to comment on that feature.
    Stupid question alert!

Why would you not choose something that is comfortable all the time?
    I understand if your issued a firearm that isn't your choice, but if not, wouldn't you be better off buying two with one for training?
    That said, I have bought other guns for both fun (and because I found a deal on something I haven't been able to rent), and to see if my choice needs to change.
    I bought PX4's in both .40 and 9mm, in part because of "in case of ammo run's/shortages" and because I have a .40 preference (taught with 10mm, then first practical gun was .40 when 9mm was hard to buy). A friend that teaches CCW classes, teaches with .22's as well as 9mm, to teach basic trigger control to new shooters. I use my 9mm like he uses .22's (training/cost benefit).

Glock or HK VP9.

I'd like to endorse the Beretta 92, but there's a reason my Brigadier Tactical went to Wilson Combat for a dehorn after a Langdon Tactical class (along with handling one of Ernie's pistols that he had dehorned himself). The extra framework on the LTT Elite 92G is a thing - and well worth the upgrade over other 92 models.

ETA: At one point, internet research was steering me to the Springfield TRP. Sampling the front strap checkering at the store was more than enough for me to explore other options.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 01-22-2019 at 07:39 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    Not advocating, but my old S&W 5906 seemed damn near recoilless compared to polymer guns.
    I went through the police academy and a few full day classes with a 5906 and it was a cakewalk. I was later "upgraded' to a 4006 and while it wasn't too bad, by the end of a long day of shooting I was much more fatigued.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List