Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The "comfy" gun

Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    What pistol, assuming common defensive caliber's, would you choose for an extended shooting session, such as a high volume course over a relatively short period of time? This assumes a basically stock pistol, and not one that has been significantly recontoured, though replacing grip panels or other minor control changes are OK.

Take into account things like felt/perceived recoil, "Glock knuckle", HK trigger trough pinch, lots of reloads with a single stack like a 1911, lots of decocking with a SIG or Beretta TDA, etc.

In addition, if there is a pistol you otherwise really like, but has some comfort oddity, please feel free to comment on that feature.

Glock G45 followed closely by the X Carry.

Went through a Way of the Gun course a little while back and ran my 4th Gen 19 for 800 in 8 hours. No problems or discomfort and it was all stock.

TXPO
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

I must be lucky that my paws don't get too beat up in classes. I have taken two classes with a P30 and two with a 1911 and didn't have any problems with either. Never shot a Glock in a course.

A 5 inch 1911 in .45acp with lots of reliable magazines.

S&W M&P9 is the "softest" shooting duty pistol I have ever used. Otherwise, a 9 mm Glock. A 9 mm 1911 is also pretty easy to shoot.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    S&W M&P9 is the "softest" shooting duty pistol I have ever used. Otherwise, a 9 mm Glock. A 9 mm 1911 is also pretty easy to shoot.
    The Docs agree!

I’m an M&P guy. If I MUST use a Glock, I use a 19. And I used to shoot an STI 9mm single stack in competition and it was also ridiculously easy to shoot. It made the stiffest 9mm’s feel like nothing...at a stout 39 ounce weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I never had any discomfort shooting any Glocks or a full size 1911 in .45. For a high volume class, I would lean towards 9mm to reduce ammo expenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Glock 17 with OEM night sights for pure stock.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by JTQ View Post
    What pistol, assuming common defensive caliber's, would you choose for an extended shooting session, such as a high volume course over a relatively short period of time? This assumes a basically stock pistol, and not one that has been significantly recontoured, though replacing grip panels or other minor control changes are OK.

Take into account things like felt/perceived recoil, "Glock knuckle", HK trigger trough pinch, lots of reloads with a single stack like a 1911, lots of decocking with a SIG or Beretta TDA, etc.

In addition, if there is a pistol you otherwise really like, but has some comfort oddity, please feel free to comment on that feature.
    9mm cartridge for this, then full sized Glocks: 17, 34, 45 or HK P30 or P30l. I can shoot any of those nearly all day with minimal stress.

Metal framed pistols beat me up more, even at heavier weights. I find a Beretta 92 series or Sig 226 not as comfy as the above though they are not bad. I do not have a great deal of time with the heaviest 40+oz steel pistols like CZ and 9mm 1911s, and they may be the best.

M&P 2.0 here

I have a S&W M&P full-size 2.0 in 45acp. I have shot around 900 rounds through it. At first the texturing seemed to irritate my bare hand, but I either got use to it or it wore down just a bit. I shot about 300 rounds through it during one session because I just enjoyed the way it felt in my hand, as well as performed. It has been 100%. I imagine this pistol in 9mm would be one sweet shooting firearm.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    I have also found the M&P9 to be considerably softer shooting than it's full size Glock counterparts.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

User Tag List