Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The "comfy" gun

The "comfy" gun

What pistol, assuming common defensive caliber's, would you choose for an extended shooting session, such as a high volume course over a relatively short period of time? This assumes a basically stock pistol, and not one that has been significantly recontoured, though replacing grip panels or other minor control changes are OK.

Take into account things like felt/perceived recoil, "Glock knuckle", HK trigger trough pinch, lots of reloads with a single stack like a 1911, lots of decocking with a SIG or Beretta TDA, etc.

In addition, if there is a pistol you otherwise really like, but has some comfort oddity, please feel free to comment on that feature.

It's a Glock world.

If you want to fit in at high volume class, shoot a Glock 17.

Wear eye pro.

For me it would a Beretta 92 of some variety or a 9mm 1911 with a "carry melt" or other mod done to reduce edges.

I'm a fan of really hardcore G10 grips so would probably throw some gloves in the range bag.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    Don’t care about fitting in, but Glocks work and don’t beat me up. Next full-size gun will probably be one of these. Never owned one, just my G26 and 42.

If I’m doing it for the love of it, Beretta 92 with the sharp frame edges broken. Aggressive G10 grips, too. Tempted to try out a PX4 in 9mm - the only one of them I’ve shot was a .40, and it was okay, but didn’t inspire me to buy one. I kind of think they aren’t the most attractive looking guns. Much prefer the Sofia Loren lines of the 92. Find them very comfortable to shoot on extended range days. Unless the sharp edges are left to cut up my hands.

I’d go for a pistol with a metal frame.

Pick one that fits your hand, has good sights and a nice trigger. CZs fit my hands the best. I would use a CZ TacSport or a Shadow/Shadow2.

When I have done multi-day and week long classes, I have also used small strips of athletic tape on a few of my fingers that get high wear due to checkering or whatever. Keep a roll of athletic tape handy.
    Last edited by Trigger; 01-22-2019 at 12:27 PM.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Glock knuckle is a problem for me, even with "Dremeling" of the triggerguard edge, unless I use a lower grip (which is less stable).

OTOH, I have no discomfort with prolonged (beavertailed) 1911 shooting, even in lightweight CCO form, even with .45 Auto.

Most revolvers, too, are comfortable for me to shoot for prolonged periods.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Glock 17 with five minutes of Dremeling the trigger guard

CZ 75 SP01 Shadow 1.

Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    Glock 17 with five minutes of Dremeling the trigger guard
    This or a Beretta 92.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I actually just did a couple of side-by-side comparisons between a G19 and a P-07 and a B92 and a P-09. The polymer CZs were definitely the most comfortable for me.

That being said, that’s me and my hands. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List