Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: P&S ModCast 180 - TWO WORLD WARS!!!1!

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    @ASH556, don't sweat it too much.
    I think this is a pretty good summation
    Seriously, if you are interested in the 1911 I say get one and start garnering experience that helps you form your own opinions. And something that costs $4k-$8k is not where you are going to start out at anyway, you didn't learn to drive in an AMG Black.

I made it far enough into the podcast to hear them all acknowledge that the Ruger is decent, that was all my confirmation bias needed (I recently bought three of them). Not saying they are infallible, but I think the failures are over reported, why would people post that they shot their gun and it did? Even after shooting them for decades I was able to spook myself a little about getting a 9mm, but now I have two of them and they both are chugging right along. I think they each (both SR1911s, one LWC 4.25" and the other the 5" Target) failed to extract once, once was with White Box Winchester that people consider to be lame, and once was with one of my reloads with a casing of unknown brand (I forgot to check).

You just listened to very knowledgeable guys who have made careers out of tweaking every possible bit of performance out of the thing and are understandably proud of their accomplishments, knowledge and abilities, and they charge accordingly.

ETA: The did also acknowledge that is not hard to get them to run with more normal bullet shapes, and only the most weird ones present the most challenge.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 02-07-2019 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Excellent questions and I’m not a 1911 guy by trade either, so I’d be super curious to hear someone who does know their stuff if Joe is full of it. Based on his views on things and his method of verifying the “whys” of what he does, however, makes me think that he’s probably legit and correct for the most part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I liked the podcast. My take is that he’s not full of it, at all, he is extremely knowledgeable *but* his background is in bullseye 1911’s and some of his concerns and what he focuses on come from that world where extreme mechanical accuracy (~1.5” 10 shot groups @ 50 yards) is the expectation. If you are focused on a reliably functioning gun for self-defense and not extreme mechanical accuracy, then I think some of those things that are required or desirable on a bullseye gun (e.g. the disconnector slot and perfect barrel leg fitting and very tight frame/slide fit) are not necessarily needed. I remember reading something from him where he was asking people to report back on their barrel leg fitting and people were freaking out because their expensive semi-custom / custom guns did not exhibit good barrel leg fit and his response was basically don’t worry about it — the original 1911 design did not require it and it’s something that has come about through the development of bullseye guns. So it’s certainly nice to have, and will aid accuracy and perhaps durability, but there’s a good chance that your given Colt or equivalent won’t have it, and that doesn’t mean the Colt is a piece of junk.
    Last edited by Xrslug; 02-07-2019 at 03:58 PM.

To all who watched or listened I want to say thank you. I'm pretty new to the whole podcast game so I appreciate your patience.

Respectfully,
    Joe Chambers

Quote Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
    To all who watched or listened I want to say thank you. I'm pretty new to the whole podcast game so I appreciate your patience.

Respectfully,
    Joe Chambers
    Cool to see you here Joe.

I’m not a 1911 guy but that episode made me appreciate why people are.
    David S.

Site Supporter

Respectfully,
    Joe Chambers
    I tried the spring setup you recommend for my .45 and the gun is literally a different beast. Considerably easier to shoot and track.

Glad to have you on man!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Respectfully,
    Joe Chambers
    Great to see you here, sir. I thoroughly enjoyed the podcast, and learned an incredible about how a properly built gun is supposed to be made in the span of 8 hours. I may listen to it again when I go TDY to SC next weekend, on another 8 hour road trip.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Joe's bumping this thread got me back and I listen to the rest of both episodes. Glad I did, learned a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I tried the spring setup you recommend for my .45 and the gun is literally a different beast. Considerably easier to shoot and track.

Glad to have you on man!

Was it 16/23? I listened when it came out but not I don't remember what he said.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    Was it 16/23? I listened when it came out but not I don't remember what he said.
    It was 18/23

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    I think they each (both SR1911s, one LWC 4.25" and the other the 5" Target) failed to extract once, once was with White Box Winchester that people consider to be lame...
    If you ever have an FTE with WWB, don't just run a malfunction drill. Hang onto the case and look at it very carefully. It may provide clues to what went wrong. It may surprise you with how out of spec the extractor groove can be on that brass. I figure if you can get through a case of it without problems, you're probably about as bomb proof as you will ever need to be.

In contrast, the grooves on the Academy/Monarch/PPU brass I have bought are quite nice.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List