Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smith and Wesson Model 67 No Dash

Smith and Wesson Model 67 No Dash

I was at the LGS/range today, and saw a Model 67 for $400. It’s in great shape, with original wood stocks. Lock up is perfect, and my only concern is the freewheeling cylinder. It spins for a much longer time than my other Smiths and Colt. There’s zero endshake, and the spin time is maybe 3-4 seconds. Does anyone own this revolver, and does that spinning sound about right? Thanks!

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    I was at the LGS/range today, and saw a Model 67 for $400. It’s in great shape, with original wood stocks. Lock up is perfect, and my only concern is the freewheeling cylinder. It spins for a much longer time than my other Smiths and Colt. There’s zero endshake, and the spin time is maybe 3-4 seconds. Does anyone own this revolver, and does that spinning sound about right? Thanks!
    What do you mean by “freewheeling “? If it does that when the cylinder is out as for loading, that’s a good thing. If it does that when the cylinder is closed and the hammer is forward, there’s a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    What do you mean by “freewheeling “? If it does that when the cylinder is out as for loading, that’s a good thing. If it does that when the cylinder is closed and the hammer is forward, there’s a problem.
    LOL! I should have been more clear. We were testing revolvers to see how freely they spin with the cylinder open. After going through a few new revolvers, the shop owner opened one of the vaults, and pulled out two King Cobras, and the Model 67. The Cobras spun about the same as my DS Special, but the Model 67 REALLY spun freely.

In "Ye Olden Days" PPC gun builder Ron Power allegedly used to put the crane and cylinder in a fixture and direct a stream of air against the cylinder flutes to make it spin and have the bearing surfaces wear in and polish themselves thereby eliminating some of the friction of the cylinder turning as the trigger is pulled.
    Last edited by FNFAN; 01-20-2019 at 05:56 PM.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Site Supporter
    Buy it

Site Supporter
    I searched long and hard for a model 67 in very good condition. I finally found one and I use it to save wear on my model 66.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I searched long and hard for a model 67 in very good condition. I finally found one and I use it to save wear on my model 66.
    They have a Model 66 of around the same vintage, but the lockup isn’t real tight, and they want $600.

Buy it! Or if it’s in the Atlanta area, tell me where it is and don’t buy it.

LOL! It’s in Pennsylvania, and they’re closed on Mondays.

Site Supporter
    Where in PA? Asking for a friend

User Tag List