Thread: Rear trij HD unwanted movement Gen 5 G-17

Rear trij HD unwanted movement Gen 5 G-17

Gen 5 Glock 17

Trijicon HD's (removed from a Gen 4 G-19)

After a few hundred rounds the rear sight progressively slides to the right. Right side of the sight will sight flush with the right side of the slide.

Sight history. Gun shop dude put them on my gen 4 and then on the gen 5. I watched him do it and there wasn't any forced movement either time. It went very smooth. He used a really nice sight pusher, I believe the one he had was Glock specific.

When I checked zero I needed to bump the rear sight no more than 2mm right and I used the ranges multigun sight pusher.

Shot the TPC handgun mastery course and than immediately a weekend long match (Hard as Hell). On the 2nd day I noticed my POI was way off and when I looked at the gun the rear sight moved. I used my friends sight pusher and moved it back to zero.

Probably but about 700 rounds through it since then and it has slipped all the way right again.

1. Can I lightly peen the slide and edge of the sight? What size punch and technique should I use?
    2. Loc-Tite? If so - technique?
    I plan on permanently keeping these sights on the gun.
    3. Why did it move? Glock and Trijicon should be pretty solid.

I appreciate any advice.

Jeremy

You can try this - it's worked for me;

Secure/support the rear sight in a vise and "dimple" the underside of the sight blade with a hardened pointy punch deep enough to upwardly displace some material creating a "crater". Spread the location of the dimples (half a dozen or more) evenly over the surface of the sight. You should encounter some noticeable interference when you reinstall the sight. Before installing the sight, liberally apply something like Loctite 620 (Green) and let it cure completely.

If it were me, I would NOT alter the slide's dovetail.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 01-20-2019 at 07:02 PM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Dimpling the bottom of the sight is a good idea.

If you don't have access to tools that allow you to do that, cut a shim out of Coke can aluminum smaller than the rear sight base. Reinstall the sight with the shim between the bottom of the sight and the slide dovetail. If it won't go, cut the shim narrower until you can get the sight and shim installed.

The aluminum is soft enough to flatten out somewhat as the sight is installed. I've done this at the range with empty cans I found in the back of the truck. It saved me from having to cut short that practice session and never loosened up.

Gringop
    Play that song about the Irish chiropodist. Irish chiropodist? "My Fate Is In Your Hands."

PensFan
    Don’t dimple the slide. Seriously. What costs more?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PensFan View Post
    Don’t dimple the slide. Seriously. What costs more?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Correct...dimple the sight.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

I had a rear sight drift and now prefer not to swap sights between pistols. I filled the dovetail with red loctite and confirmed POI the next day. It still kind of bugged me so I replaced it, but removing it was a challenge. It was pretty much welded in there. If you can go >700 rounds without it moving loctite may work for your application.
    Last edited by J0hnny; 01-22-2019 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by J0hnny View Post
    I had a rear sight drift and now prefer not to swap sights between pistols. I filled the dovetail with red loctite and confirmed POI the next day. It still kind of bugged me so I replaced it, but removing it was a challenge. It was pretty much welded in there. If you can go >700 rounds without it moving loctite may work for your application.
    I'd do blue loctite instead of red.
    #RESIST

All great suggestions and much appreciated.

Does the dovetail filled w/ loc-tite reflect any sunlight glare?

Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'd do blue loctite instead of red.
    Agree blue for everything but “permanent”. I installed a Glock front sight with red before I knew any better and when the trit finally died I was able to release it with a heat gun. Just remove the striker channel liner first

Quote Originally Posted by KneeShot View Post
    All great suggestions and much appreciated.
    Does the dovetail filled w/ loc-tite reflect any sunlight glare?
    Jeremy
    No glare. Think of it like you’re using loctite in lieu of clp for install. Just wipe off any excess and you should be gtg

User Tag List