Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Private Security Companies

Site Supporter
    I thought the contractors for the USMS courthouse varied by region. Anybody know?

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I thought the contractors for the USMS courthouse varied by region. Anybody know?
    https://www.usmarshals.gov/judicial/...ty_officer.htm

https://www.usmarshals.gov/judicial/contracts.htm
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I worked as a Protection Services Officer for the Federal Reserve early in my career. It would be a decent retirement job but at least back then the Fed made it perfectly clear that they paid below market rate wages because their benefits were above average. The departments are small and many of the facilities consolidated and closed about a decade ago so there are significantly fewer positions now. On the Intercon/Paragon side, I work with several guys that worked on Federal Building security contracts managed by the Federal Protective Service. I would not recommend them. One buddy of mine said they were treated pretty poorly by the Federal Employees and in particular by the Federal Protective Service Officers. According to him the FPS officers liked to play games and would come through on post checks and ask things like, "What does section H on page 75 of your SOP state?". They would get written up if they could not immediately answer whatever random question they were asked or for any other pettiness the FPS officer could find. He said it reminded him of reciting General Orders during first phase USMC boot camp.

If you want to be involved in a training capacity I would consider working for a large metropolitan hospital security department. Some of the ones I have looked at have actual abbreviated LE modeled training academies and FTEP programs along with TASER, OC, and K9 certifications.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    USMS Court Security Officer through Akal, InterCon etc is the best gig in terms of people you work with and job duties. I'm not sure which company holds the contract(s) in this area.

Diplomatic Security Uniformed Division, contracted by InterCon, is going to be high up there as well with a starting pay of $32/hour in the NCR....the personnel are a little more variable in quality in DC compared to USMS, and the dudes who go in and get assigned to SOU (Special Operations Unit, basically just officers with active shooter training) generally don't stay too long as they're more capable dudes and working towards an actual police job. They have a fairly large K9 program as well, in addition to an honor guard if that JROTC-Nazi stuff is your thing. Initial training is 4 or 5 weeks with a few days per year refresher, and you qual once a year within that (all currently in Woodbridge, VA). Duty gear is Class B's with corframs (or BDUs/boots for K9 and SOU), concealed body armor, duty belt with Sig P229, two spare mags, cuffs, monadnock baton, flashlight, and radio.

You'll generally be standing post at an interior checkpoint in one of the many State Department buildings in the NCR, but there's some roving/vehicular stuff and exterior vehicle control points as well....one of the DSS UD security guards is even on camera getting stick time on the Turkish goons in 2016. If you end up working the Harry S Truman building, you'll do a lot of arrival and departures for visiting dignitaries and posting a lot of diplomatic events. There's limited opportunity for travel as well, primarily to support DoS operations at the UN General Assembly every September. About 40% have SDUSM credentials, and the hiring standards don't weed out window lickers but it's good enough that you'll generally be around responsible people and not brand new security guards with no experience that want to wear double thigh holsters and black trench-coats.

DHS is all through FPS. Maybe there's an FPS guy on the board, but from what I understand and have seen, their contracted armed security officers get paid less than USMS and DSS.

There's a ton of one-off jobs for various NGOs and museums in DC as well that I don't have any real information on, but if you can think of a museum or NGO, there's a good chance they have an armed guard contract. DC has some weirdness to it where they're all technically Special Police Officers.....I'm not sure what sort of limited arrest authority or protection that confers (if any).
    Hi, I'm starting to look into security to install for my new spanish property on an urbanisation outside Valencia. I will be away from the property up to a month at a time, Several 'big' security companies seem to have horrendous reviews / impossible to cancel and generally terrible service. I was thinking of getting a good wireless connection and installing my own camera system with alarm and window sensors etc...- has anybody done this and is it particularly effective? Thanks

User Tag List