Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Thousands in Peril as Temperatures Plunge Below 40 in Central FL

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    I look at my own post dated a year ago and sigh. If only I’d known then what I know now.

We got a polar vortex in February of 2019. Three days where the highest temperature was -5. One day where it was -17 and windchills to -50.

Negative fifty degrees. Fifty fucking degrees BELOW ZERO that is 82 fucking degrees below FREEZING. The whole city of Chicago was frozen in place.
    Did the gangbangers still shoot 20+ other 'bangers that weekend or did their Lorcins lock up?
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

On the book of face today, I impressed a couple of Alps-dwelling Swiss-Italians with the normal 10 F noon temperature of a sunny calm January day in St Paul. (well, for them, it's -15 C)
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 01-21-2020 at 07:53 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Being from upstate NY, I think I deal with the cold better than the heat. Don't miss the snow or negative temps though.

My Dad has quickly acclimated to FL. He calls this "ColderEnAss".

-Cory

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Did the gangbangers still shoot 20+ other 'bangers that weekend or did their Lorcins lock up?
    When the temps drop below 20 crime precipitously falls in Chicago.

But you wanna know something interesting? Temps drop in Minneapolis, Chicago, Detroit, and Cleveland and suddenly crime spikes up in Dallas, Tulsa, Little Rock, Memphis, New Orleans, Birmingham, Atlanta, and Jacksonville.

Weird, huh? It’s almost like crimes are committed by people who are mobile or something...
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 01-21-2020 at 08:13 PM.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Attachment 47552

33F by morning.

We are all going to die.
    If you have the good Michelins on the Porsche, read the documentation about low temps. Don't want to ruin them by rolling while too cold.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

*laughs in sub-freezing temperatures*
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    My parents are fleeing to the Caribbean for safety.
    Good call.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Next Sunday it may hit 44 degrees which will be the warmest temp in months.

Go all #FloridaMan and burn your furniture to stay warm.
    That’s an option we are considering.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    If you have the good Michelins on the Porsche, read the documentation about low temps. Don't want to ruin them by rolling while too cold.
    Did a full lock slow turn backing out of my spot at work today. Holy crap you are right. I guess the stiff sidewalls and Ackerman effect and cold temps combined. I thought I was suddenly running over a bunch of acorns lol.

Site Supporter
    It was low 20s F this morning NW of Atlanta - too cold. I think the refugees are bringing the cold with them.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Did a full lock slow turn backing out of my spot at work today. Holy crap you are right. I guess the stiff sidewalls and Ackerman effect and cold temps combined. I thought I was suddenly running over a bunch of acorns lol.
    Lumpy ride for a few miles until cold tires get warmed up is pretty normal for performance tires. The nylon structural elements are typically behind it. The yummier Michelins take it to another level:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Pilot+Sport+4S

Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.
    It's kinda ambiguous how you should proceed if it only gets down to 33*F. Fortunately, my car with these tires isn't my primary.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 01-21-2020 at 08:40 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Pilot+Sport+4S

It's kinda ambiguous how you should proceed if it only gets down to 33*F. Fortunately, my car with these tires isn't my primary.
    Thanks. At 20° F I’d be ice skating past Greta Thunberg on the way to work.

It never gets down to what they say, though. The Tampa Bay moderates a good bit of the air temp, usually. We are just about at the freeze line for the orange groves; mostly they are south of us. I have family in Ocala, couple hours up the road. They may see temps in the 20s being North and inland a bit.

Quite a collection of winter clothing out and about though. Nobody here has much of a wardrobe for this stuff, so you see people pile on everything they have in the closet, makes for some outlandish get ups.
    Last edited by RJ; 01-21-2020 at 08:46 PM.

User Tag List