Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Thousands in Peril as Temperatures Plunge Below 40 in Central FL

Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post
    What will my Vodka do without Orange Juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Be a man's drink.
    It turns to whiskey if you don't add orange juice?

A while back I hear that iguanas had gotten loose and become an invasive species in Florida. When there's a cold snap you can hunt them with a hammer. I guess there's even cook books specifically for iguana.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I've visited FL in the winter a few times in recent memory, and I'm always amused when I see locals wearing long pants and jackets when it's 65 or 70 degrees out and I'm wearing shorts and a T-shirt. Of course, if I went down there in the summer, I'm sure I'd die of heat exhaustion 5 minutes after getting off the plane, so there's that.
    I live within 5 miles of Olstyn, and am originally from northern California, so I get it. Only been here 4.5 years. One does acclimate. Or, as James Lileks himself told me, "It gets better."

I was in Kauai from mid December until a few weeks back, and coming back to 20f and snow just felt...right.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Florida winters are a strange thing to those who have never experienced them.
    For the most part, Florida isn't all that bad for the winter months. Until a cold front comes sweeping down from the north, and the temps drop into the 30's or lower, and it's a wet, really windy, cutting kind of cold.

Which usually isn't a bad thing elsewhere, but a lot of FL is set up for months of 95 degree plus sunny heat, especially older houses and public buildings like schools. A couple of hours of that windy cold tends to drag every single bit of heat out of uninsulated, unheated cement block buildings that have large glass areas. And while technically impossible according to the laws of physics, cement block walls seem to have the ability to radiate cold.

And being Florida, those snaps only usually last about three days or so... which means you never get a chance to get used to the chill like you do up north.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I lived Gainesville, FL for six months back in the late '70s.

We could always tell when it had gotten cold in Georgia. The trees
    around the trailer filled up with robins. As soon as it warmed up
    they all flew back to GA.

When it got cold in Gainesville it looked like the frozen north for a while.
    Whole lotta parkas came out of the closet.

Hahaha, that’s shorts and T-shirt weather up here.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Tomorrow here in Phoenix the high is only supposed to be like 63. I may throw a light jacket in my car in case the theater is chilly when I go to a movie after work.

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    Hahaha, that’s shorts and T-shirt weather up here.
    When I lived in Waukesha WI, 20 degrees above zero was shorts and light jacket weather. For one, it wasn't all that windy, and I was fairly acclimatized to the cold at that point.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    Thread reminds me when I lived in Phoenix a while back....it reached a historic overnight low of 22 (for like 2 hours max) and there was 24 hour news coverage of every icicle and snowflake.

110 F for 20 days straight? Yawn. 22F overnight low? PANIC!
    Last edited by fixer; 01-21-2019 at 05:18 AM.

Well it did reach 39 this morning.

Walking Miss Sunnydays I put her little quilted overcoat on - she looked like a tank. Me - long pants, fleece vest, thick jacket, hat.

Lol. Floridians.

Hopefully it will warm up soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ACP230 View Post
    When it got cold in Gainesville it looked like the frozen north for a while.
    Whole lotta parkas came out of the closet.
    The funniest thing about S. FL when it's cold is what people wear: winter coats, a collection of anything warm, even blankets. Runner up for funniest FL cold thing is frozen iguanas.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

User Tag List