Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Thousands in Peril as Temperatures Plunge Below 40 in Central FL

Thousands in Peril as Temperatures Plunge Below 40 in Central FL

TAMPA (AP) As Winter Storm Harper moves past Central Florida, dangerously bitter, cold air makes its way in, causing thousands to be in peril, or at least looking for long pants. According to the National Weather Service, lows tonight at Tampa International in Hillsborough County are expected to be near 39F.

Canadian visitor Owen Brown, interviewed pool-side at his RV site in nearby Clearwater, said "Hey now, we can leave the beer outside tonight, eh?"

Florida residents were sent scurrying to find extra clothing, stored for years at the back of closets and under beds for just such an emergency.

"I think our AC unit has a "heat pump" setting," said long-time Florida "native" (at least since they moved down from Bergen County in 2016 to that Condo, so that counts) Murray Finkelstein. "I sure hope it works or we may be suffering tonight," said Finkelstein.

The winter storm brought high winds of 10, gusting to 12 miles per hour, to Tampa International and the surrounding regions, while cold air may take the temperature to an unexpected low of 39.

Numbers near freezing may be seen north of the Tampa area, leading to reports of The End of the World (or worse) in Ocala and greater Marion County.

Just kidding. But it is fricken cold here at the moment.

Hope anyone in the path of the upcoming Winter Storm this weekend comes out alright.
    Last edited by RJ; 01-20-2019 at 02:42 PM.

"Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Please let me know where I can direct the airdrop of fleece blankets. GPS coordinates preferred.

Name:  88A6FD73-895E-4A6C-B134-4CE8067C9CE9.jpg
Views: 1423
Size:  50.8 KB

You laugh, but millions of innocent orchards and other tropical plants are at risk!
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Cool

What will my Vodka do without Orange Juice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Just kidding. But it is fricken cold here at the moment.
    Rich, you are officially a sissy.

It's 8 degrees F right now up here in the Minneapolis/St. Paul. Over the next week, the highest predicted daily high temperature here is 21, and the lowest overnight low (actual temp, *not* windchill) is -16, and that's just business as usual in January.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Rich, you are officially a sissy.

It's 8 degrees F right now up here in the Minneapolis/St. Paul. Over the next week, the highest predicted daily high temperature here is 21, and the lowest overnight low (actual temp, *not* windchill) is -16, and that's just business as usual in January.
    I cannot comprehend temperatures that cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    I cannot comprehend temperatures that cold.
    I've visited FL in the winter a few times in recent memory, and I'm always amused when I see locals wearing long pants and jackets when it's 65 or 70 degrees out and I'm wearing shorts and a T-shirt. Of course, if I went down there in the summer, I'm sure I'd die of heat exhaustion 5 minutes after getting off the plane, so there's that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Be a man's drink.
    Bwhahahaha!!!!

Name:  burn-meme.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  38.9 KB

User Tag List