Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Thousands in Peril as Temperatures Plunge Below 40 in Central FL

My wife is in JAX right now, staying in a really nice AirBNB that apparently is pretty much uninsulated. With windchill it's like 15 degrees and she's really struggling to stay warm.

She's kinda bummed because we had a foot of snow on the ground here when she left and she was looking forward to some warmer weather.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

The moment you realize no amount of money is worth working winter oil fields 40 miles from Nowhere, ND:

Name:  2015-01-04 23.11.03.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  38.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Balisong View Post
    It was 55 degrees and some water was falling out of the sky for some reason while I was driving to work at 6am today. I should have called off work, was starting to think a swarm of locusts would be next. Luckily there are these sticks on my windshield that kept wiping away the moisture.
    That's the world ending. Quit your job in spectacular fashion and go buy all the guns you've always wanted while there's still time.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Be careful in Florida. I hear it’s raining iguanas from the trees.
    "Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master"

Back in February of 2019, Chicago had a pretty good cold snap. One of my team members was there doing at a lab doing some testing being witnessed by a customer. He is from Alabama, so really cold weather (20 degrees F is about as cold as it ever gets in northern Alabama) is a bit unusual for him. So he decided, in true engineering fashion, to run an experiment. He went outside with no coat, no hat, and no gloves with the ambient temperature in the sub-teens and the wind chill much lower. He stayed outside for a full five minutes (timed it). The lab techs called me to tell me what he had done.

I was not sure whether to praise him for being willing to try new things or admonish him for criminal stupidity.
    Last edited by farscott; 01-22-2020 at 05:02 AM.

It's the coldest day of winter we've had so far: 40F right now. We missed our chance to evacuate to Havana for safety, so we'll have to ride it out here. Fortunately we have some wooden furniture we don't really need.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I seem to remember my old apartment on Key Biscayne having heat. Does no one have the H in HVAC down there anymore?
    Yeah, it had heat, but you hoped you'd never need to use it. My house is old enough (1960s) that it has old school electric heat, meaning a mesh of toaster wires embedded in the plaster ceilings. That shit would bake you out of the house if you cranked it up. I disconnected it when we had a new electric service installed because I envisioned ultimate warming via house fire. Our more modern HVAC is basically a giant toaster with air blowing through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerf16 View Post
    Be careful in Florida. I hear it’s raining iguanas from the trees.
    I fucking hope so, because it will make it easier to catch dinner.

Pray for us. If we survive the morning, it's supposed to hit 70F this afternoon.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    The yummier Michelins take it to another level
    So, at the link it says:
    "like all Max Performance Summer tires, is not intended to be serviced, stored nor driven in near- and below-freezing temperatures"
    Soooooo, that one summer I had summer tires, I was not even supposed to have stored them in the shed?
    But actually not sure if I ever did, because the problem I had with summer tires is they were pretty much worn out in one summer. The way I use them is a little weird, I travel for a sales job and work from home when I do not, so I either do not commute (and use the truck if we go out to dinner) or I leave home at the beginning of the week and get back 750-1500mi later. But I do drive the car personally a lot too. But the year I tried summer tires they wore out and since I had to switch out to the snow tires when it got to 40F I ended up wearing them out too, and I really only need them maybe 3mo a year.

What a bust.

39° Air temp when I left for work at 6:30. Car was in heated garage.

No fatalities to report.

Quote Originally Posted by fixer View Post
    Thread reminds me when I lived in Phoenix a while back....it reached a historic overnight low of 22 (for like 2 hours max) and there was 24 hour news coverage of every icicle and snowflake.

110 F for 20 days straight? Yawn. 22F overnight low? PANIC!
    Basically, anything close to freezing in the valley is a panic. Used to be the citrus growers got excited but I don't think they raise that much citrus there anymore. At least I didn't see a lot of it when I went thru there a few years ago. I believe most of that ag moved to Yuma. I used to live in Mesa and my neighbor told me to take the grapefruit from his orchard anytime I wanted. He had some nice trees.

The heats a killer there, that's why I left. Working outside in the summer can be tough.
    Last edited by Borderland; 01-22-2020 at 08:43 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Went to my car yesterday. I had left a bottled water in the space in the door. It was frozen solid.

User Tag List