Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol course holster advice. To paddle or not to paddle?

Pistol course holster advice. To paddle or not to paddle?

I'm taking my second pistol class soon an am in need of a new OWB holster for my M&P 2.0 Compact. I'm not sure if I should go with a belt or paddle holster? I'm thinking of going with the Vedder ProDraw Paddle holster, but am hesitating because I've never used a paddle holster before. What would you guys recommend for a pistol training class, belt loops or paddle?

Thank you,

Tom

Site Supporter
    I greatly prefer belt loops. The only reason for a paddle is to take the holster on and off easily.

Belt loops. Besides the superior retention offered by a belt loop, I've broken paddle holsters before when shooting from unconventional positions.

For more of a concealment style OWB (which is probably a better match for a M&P Compact), my old go-to would've been the Raven Concealment Systems Phantom, but they've become scarce, and I don't think their Perun (which I often recommend to new Glock shooters as first holster) is available yet for the M&P.

These days I'd suggest JM Custom Kydex OWB2 to fill this role.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Thank you! Do you guys recommend a 10 degree forward cant or straight drop?

Depends on a number of things, like where you like to put the pistol on the belt. I sometimes carry a OWB just forward of my hip, with a closed front garment, so prefer a straight drop. The more a holster drifts back behind the hip, the more I like to add some cant.

Site Supporter
    Belt! The more towards 4 o’clock the more cant. I like 15 but you only really know by doing it.

Classes are for learning new things and getting feedback, test out everything before.

Ok, going with belt loop. The Custom Kydex OWB 2 looks like a NICE holster. I have the option of choosing a straight drop or 10 degree cant, not sure which to go with. Also, don't know what to select for "guard": non, mid, or full? Any advice or sharing of preferences is very much appreciated. I'll likely only use this holster for classes, not for actual CCW/daily carry.
    Last edited by HammerStriker; 01-20-2019 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HammerStriker View Post
    Thank you! Do you guys recommend a 10 degree forward cant or straight drop?
    Depends on the purpose of the holster and your preference of placement on your body. 3-3:30 is ideal for 0 degrees, any further back is where the 10 degrees shine.

10 degree can be helpful for OWB CONCEALMENT. Particular on longer slide lengths (full to long) or with shorter garments.

If you are looking for a Range/game holster, I have found 0s to be more consistent on finding the front sight and slightly faster (the later is debatable). 0s can conceal, but you may need and a slightly longer shirt/jacket if that is a requirement.

Stay away from paddles, I have witnessed many draw guns come out with a holster still on them.

EDIT:

Long guards. If you run a tucked shirt, the guard will help prevent said shirt from getting into your re holster path.It also keeps sweat off if don't use a tucked shirt. You or often the holster maker can trim it later if you don't like it.

Mid guards allow you to get your thumb in place easier on the initial grip at the holster.
    Last edited by Artemas2; 01-20-2019 at 02:18 PM.

From what you've stated, I'd recommend a mid-guard, 0 degree cant, OWB2. My only full guards are for IWB holsters.

Alright dudes. Thanks to everyone's input, I've narrowed it down to JM Custom Kydex OWB2 (belt loops) with no cant. My last sticking point is the sweat guard. The thought of the guard keeping my clothes out of the holster sounds good to me. I'm debating between mid/full guard or no guard, not sure what to select here.

Keep the input coming, it is very helpful...
    Last edited by HammerStriker; 01-20-2019 at 03:11 PM.

User Tag List