Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hong Kong knife carry

Hong Kong knife carry

So, I've booked my first ever real vacation (my first longer than a weekend), and I would like to know if anyone has first-hand experience with carrying knives there, both for general use and defense. I'll be with my wife, 5yo son, and my in-laws. There will be lots of eating, package opening, and the like.

Thanks,

Kent

Site Supporter
    Nothing solid; when I tried to research this a couple years ago I was left with enough doubts I decided not to do it. Hopefully someone else has concrete info.

@StraitR found me this:

small fixed blade carried extra discreetly, and a SAK for general cutting chores?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by theJanitor; 01-19-2019 at 01:53 PM.

Opinel - Opinel - Opinel

Name:  IMG_3524.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  22.8 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    So, I've booked my first ever real vacation (my first longer than a weekend), and I would like to know if anyone has first-hand experience with carrying knives there, both for general use and defense. I'll be with my wife, 5yo son, and my in-laws. There will be lots of eating, package opening, and the like.

Thanks,

Kent
    Not sure how they define a “Flick knife”

Also they mention transit passengers so is that for HK in general or in the secure area of HK airport ?

I was there in the 90s (pre turn over) and brought a plain edge Spyderco delica in checked luggage without issues. They sold them there at the time and it’s small enough to reasonably claim it is a standard pocket knife, not a weapon. Worst comes to worst it is cheap enough to discard.

Lots of great food though a bit heavy on the seafood for me. I can do congee for breakfast as long as it is without the fish. At time you could get a beer (Carlson) in McDonald’s.
    Last edited by HCM; 01-19-2019 at 02:34 PM.

Honestly, If you’re going to be there for a while, I’d just pick something up in a shop locally on day 1. That way, you have a reasonbly good chance of being covered legally, plus you have a souvenir that’s not dumb. JMO.
    Last edited by Totem Polar; 01-19-2019 at 03:35 PM.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    I have not much international experience for air travel but I fly domestic a fair amount. I travel carry on only so I always grab a fruit knife in the grocery store or a razor knife at a hardware store as my first errand.

I've only been through the airport in HK, but have been to mainland China a few times. Really anything that could be construed as a weapon was a no-no.

I carried a surefire E2D/E2D Ultra and fountain pen when in nice or street clothes.
    When in work clothes/boots I'd carry the flashlight and a box cutter or large cutting shears on me. We were working in an area that, in the US, would have been seedy but was very tame and safe.

HK is a different animal than Shanghai or Beijing though.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

https://www.police.gov.hk/ppp_en/04_...cpa_at_01.html

Sounds like what they are most concerned about are autos, spring-assisted, etc.

thanks, guys. So what's a "Gravity Knife"?

User Tag List