Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Rye Whiskey

Current Rye Whiskeys in the cabinet (least favorite to most:

Braddock Oak Rye Single Barrel. It’s not bad, it’s just too bland. The ONLY thing that comes through is the Oak.

Masterson’s. Don’t get me wrong, I REALLY like it. It just lacks any kind of bold nature. It’s too smooth

Willett 3 year. Excellent! Strong notes of black pepper and oak. I can’t believe it’s 109 proof!

Pinhook Straight Rye: Outstanding! Sweet orange and citrus dominate. Let it sit for 10 minutes and it will shock the conscience.

Willett 4 year: Holyfuckingshitballs!!!! It’s hard to even describe. Cherry and about 10 different flavors commit assault on your mouth. It’s like the Rye arranged a gang bang of flavor on your mouth. It’s not just my favorite rye, it’s just my favorite whiskey. I don’t see how it can get better than this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    You know, I gave Corb a rifle sight once, for an M14. I had a few spares lying around and IIRC he had just had one rifle cut down to scout length.

He did not agree to stage a Smalls reunion show in exchange, even though I specifically asked.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk
    Color me jealous. I’ve been listening to Corb for several years. I was always impressed at the truth in his songs that I had personal experience with (livestock, rodeo, and oil field). He put on a small show here that we went to last summer, he talked about his background and I finally understood why his songs were real. He wasn’t just singing it he had really lived it. I would love to sit down for drinks with him and I’m not one to normally care about “celebrities “.
    Last edited by Bratch; 01-19-2019 at 09:31 PM.

Site Supporter
    ^^^^. Holyfuckingshitballs!

MOney

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Since my go-to when out and about after concerts is a rye Manhattan, I’ve had it all at some point. Rittenhouse, Templeton and Sazerac (my second go-to drink, btw) are all solid.

Oddly, there are some excellent new rye ideas coming out of Utah, of all places. Check it:

https://www.highwest.com/spirits.php

Rye is sort of their thing. Their double, rendezvous, bourye, and midwinter’s dream will all do. Our local brewpub (@misanthropist tanked up there with me n the mrs after a sim-scortched Saturday of ECQC once) carries multiple bottles, and turned me on to them.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Since my go-to when out and about after concerts is a rye Manhattan, I’ve had it all at some point. Rittenhouse, Templeton and Sazerac (my second go-to drink, btw) are all solid.

Oddly, there are some excellent new rye ideas coming out of Utah, of all places. Check it:

https://www.highwest.com/spirits.php

Rye is sort of their thing. Their double, rendezvous, bourye, and midwinter’s dream will all do. Our local brewpub (@misanthropist tanked up there with me n the mrs after a sim-scortched Saturday of ECQC once) carries multiple bottles, and turned me on to them.
    Fine! I’ll pick a double rye up tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    Fine! I’ll pick a double rye up tomorrow!
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Interestingly enough many of the popular ryes come from MGP in Indiana.

"One primary product of MGP Indiana is a straight rye whiskey with a 95% rye mash bill, which is bottled under various brand names, including Angel's Envy, Bulleit Rye, Filibuster, George Dickel Rye, High West, James E. Pepper, Redemption, Smooth Ambler, and Templeton Rye."

Quote Originally Posted by Old Phart View Post
    Interestingly enough many of the popular ryes come from MGP in Indiana.

"One primary product of MGP Indiana is a straight rye whiskey with a 95% rye mash bill, which is bottled under various brand names, including Angel's Envy, Bulleit Rye, Filibuster, George Dickel Rye, High West, James E. Pepper, Redemption, Smooth Ambler, and Templeton Rye."
    Yup, and as those micros age into being mature enough to bottle their own rye, MGP will sell to other newbies.

The George Dickel rye is quite good and inexpensive to boot, IIRC.
    +10 for Rittenhouse.
    I have a bottle of Basil Hayden Two by Two Rye that was supposed to be a Christmas present but I forgot to hand it out. After the month I've had I may just try it out.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    I'll have to give High West a try. I was initially put off by what I felt was faux westernism and/or marketing vis a vis the name, but it sounds like they have a quality product.

George Dickel is another that I keep skipping over. It'll go on my next Rye shopping trip.

Chris

User Tag List