Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rye Whiskey

Site Supporter

Rye Whiskey

We have a Scotch thread for the effete whisky snobs and a bourbon thread for the hillbillies, what about a rye thread for us manly whiskey drinkers?

No fancy pics here, so I'll just list the ones I've tried with some notes. I don't keep detailed notes, this is mainly what I recall from sampling different ryes over the years. I probably left a couple out too.

Bulleit Rye: My first foray into rye whiskeys. Good flavor, nice rye kick. A good pick for those just getting into rye. I don't buy much of this, but I'd say it's my 2nd favorite of this list.
    Wild Turkey Rye 100 Proof: a bit "thin" tasting. Not bad, but haven't purchased any after the first bottle.
    Jim Beam Rye: Similar to WT above but with less alcohol.
    Old Overholt: Meh. Not bad, but doesn't stand out over WT, JB, or Bulleit.
    Rittenhouse Bottled In Bond: W00T! This is my hands down favorite. It has a nice rye kick, flavors of cinnamon, nice mouthfeel, and inexpensive to boot. At 100 proof, it makes a great Manhattan. With a few drops of water to tame the alcohol, it is a good sipping rye. It even sips great without the water when sitting around a campfire in the winter. Oddly enough, it's not as high a rye content like Bulleit, but it has more flavor in my opinion.
    Sazerac: I was given a bottle for Xmas this year. This is good, but not so good that I'll go out of my way for it. I think Rittenhouse is better overall, but only slightly. It comes down to cost and availability, both of which gives an edge to Rittenhouse.
    KO Distillery Bare Knuckle American Rye: Not recommended. I like their wheat whiskey and their gins, but the rye is harsh and not very complex flavor-wise. I think it needs more aging or development.
    James E Pepper 1776: Another meh. Not bad, but not any better than WT or JB.
    Alberta Dark Batch Rye: This one sounded interesting, but it has a weird flavor. It was ok, but not one I'd buy again.

Bulleit, Jim Beam, and Rittenhouse are the only ones that I've purchased more than once.

Chris

Effete? Hillbillies you say? You nattering nabob of negativism!

I haven't had a glass of rye (neat) in many a year. I'm going to have to give it a go one of these days.

My dad used to have a closet shelf full of rye given to him as gifts over the years which he rarely ever cracked. I can see all those labels in my mind's eye.

Awfully tempting to a kid back then. (I usually stole a bottle every now and again to share with my other ne'er-do-well friends thinking my parents would never notice. I was wrong.)

I've heard good things about the Bulleit Rye.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Any rye question can be answered with one simple response, High West Double Rye.

Last edited by Bratch; 01-19-2019 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    Any rye question can be answered with one simple response, High West Double Rye.

Not familiar with that one. I see that it's listed on the state ABC site at $39.95 (which doesn't mean it's available at the local shop).
    Last edited by blues; 01-19-2019 at 11:44 AM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post

I've seen High West in the store, but haven't tried it. The reviews are promising. I'll have to buy a bottle.

Chris

Site Supporter
    I too have pretty much settled on Rittenhouse bottled in bond. I’ve been assuming that meant I don’t like super-high rye content.

Pretty much limiting myself to 2 glasses of wine a week and no other alcohol while I’m losing weight, but interested to get some other ideas from this thread to eventually try.

High West Double Rye has a nice spice to it. It's becoming one of my go-to ryes, and it's a great choice for a Manhattan. High West's Rendezvous Rye is also excellent, though considerably more expensive. I managed to track down a bottle of their Yippe Ki-Yay limited release, but haven't really formed an opinion yet. High West is definitely worth exploring.

Angel's Envy Rye still remains my favorite. The rum cask finish makes for a very smooth rye with a distinctive flavor. Pricey and often hard to find, but in my opinion, worth it.

Last edited by JSGlock34; 01-19-2019 at 12:29 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

A liquor store near my parents' house had a bunch of different Whistle Pig ryes, ranging from $50 to $600 a bottle. It was a little rich for my blood but it piqued my interest.

I like Old Overholt & Bulleit ryes myself.

User Tag List