Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Rye Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    Love rye. But, At all costs avoid Balcones Rye. That stuff was bottled by the devil to hurt people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am curious what you found undesirable. Taste, cost, some other factor?

i had a chance to taste some of their rye new make directly off the still, and liked it a great deal. But 150+ proof rye liquor is certainly not for everyone.

Thanks.

Taste. Bad bad bad. So bad it upset my stomach and I wondered if they somehow fouled up during the distillation process.

I’ve heard that Balcones’ QC has been inconsistent lately and this fit the pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by TR675 View Post
    Taste. Bad bad bad. So bad it upset my stomach and I wondered if they somehow fouled up during the distillation process.

I’ve heard that Balcones’ QC has been inconsistent lately and this fit the pattern.

Hmm, interesting. I had not heard that about their QC. I do know that they have had a lot of special releases, and a lot of the labels appear similar when folks grab something off the self.

If you like Buffalo Trace, I have an experimental batch of rye whiskey they produced a few years back. You are welcome to wander over sometime and try it.

I have a bottle of High West Midsummer Night's Dram I'm bringing to Tac-Con, alsong with some other rye goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I have a bottle of High West Midsummer Night's Dram I'm bringing to Tac-Con, along with some other rye goodies.
    I'm curious to hear your review - I haven't run across a bottle of the Midsummer Night's Dram...yet.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter
    Opened the High West Double Rye last night watching the Chiefs game with Bourbon Buddy. Both of us gave it two thumbs up. Really good stuff.

A lot like Bulleit Rye to me, but more subtle. I like the Bulleit for a Manhattan, but I think I'd prefer the HW-DR straight.

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Am I a peasant for liking simple Jack Daniel's Rye? I don't care for Old No.7 but had some JD Rye at the office Christmas party and really enjoyed it.

I've since picked up some Woodford Reserve Rye, really like that (I haven't found anything from Woodford Reserve I don't like) and last weekend picked up Knob Creek Rye 100 proof and really liked that (which surprised me since I don't really care for normal Knob Creek).

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    Am I a peasant for liking simple Jack Daniel's Rye?
    Nope. You like what you like. All good.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I bought a bottle of High West Double Rye... This is a steal at $30! Amazing rye. I also managed to find a bottle Of Willett Rye from a different barrel (my favorite was bottled at 114 proof). The new one is bottled at 126 proof and solid spice and brown/burnt sugar (the previous being solid vanilla and red fruit). While both are excellent, the 126 proof doesn’t hold a candle to the 114.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Phart View Post
    I am also a big fan of Rittenhouse Rye, so much so that I haven't even bothered trying any others.

I do plan on trying Pikesville Rye soon though. It is the older brother from Heaven Hill.

I got a bottle of Pikesville Rye a few days ago and highly recommend it.

I drink my whiskey neat and It is better tasting and higher proof than Rittenhouse, which I really like, for just a few dollars more near me.

After reading rave reviews, I'm unimpressed.
    Smooth, check.
    Flavor/spice, weak.
    Color, meh...

I wish I'd had saved my $4 and bought my staple JD Rye. Anyone tried the JD Rye single barrel? Candy shop has it @ $109/750ml. Worth a special occasion pour?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

User Tag List