Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rye Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by perlslacker View Post
    A liquor store near my parents' house had a bunch of different Whistle Pig ryes, ranging from $50 to $600 a bottle. It was a little rich for my blood but it piqued my interest.

I like Old Overholt & Bulleit ryes myself.
    I think Whistle Pig is overrated, though I enjoyed their Old World Series.

I think Bulleit's best offering is their rye.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Rye is such a Canadian whiskey, drinking it's almost an act of patriotism here. It's about 80% of what I drink...mostly Alberta Premium, which is a single-grain, nothin' but rye, rye. It's cheap here but pretty good.

But I also drink Alberta Springs 10 year, some of the Lot 40 stuff (the single copper is quite good I think) or Bulliet. Once in a while the Knob Creek cask stuff is worth the expense but my favourite rye so far has been one laid down by the BC government liquor branch about 25-30 years ago...they made around 2000 bottles of the stuff and I bought a few when they released it a couple of years back. Holy cow, that's some good rye.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

Site Supporter
    Try Templeton Rye Special Reserve or Kooper Family Rye. Temple is in Iowa. Kooper here in Austin. Pricey but good. If you try it let me know what you think.
    Last edited by Hideeho; 01-19-2019 at 01:38 PM. Reason: iPad auto correct.

Not a pure rye but another strong High West contribution is their Campfire. It’s a Rye, Bourbon, Scotch blend. You can taste each at different points in the sip. I have gotten several people hooked on it.

I am also a big fan of Rittenhouse Rye, so much so that I haven't even bothered trying any others.

I do plan on trying Pikesville Rye soon though. It is the older brother from Heaven Hill.

Love rye. But, At all costs avoid Balcones Rye. That stuff was bottled by the devil to hurt people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rittenhouse BIB, High West Double and Templeton are current favorites in my circle. Bulleit is also fantastic; which is amazing to me, considering I'm not a huge fan of their bourbon (and I'm a bourbon guy)...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    Any rye question can be answered with one simple response, High West Double Rye.

Picked this one up today. Looking forward to breaking it open later. Will report back.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JSGlock34 View Post
    I think Whistle Pig is overrated, though I enjoyed their Old World Series.

I think Bulleit's best offering is their rye.
    We're on the same page.

I've only tried the base level WP, but the primary flavor I got from it was "bubble gum". Not kidding. Did not like it.

The only Bulleit I like is their Rye. Makes an excellent Manhattan.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post

You know, I gave Corb a rifle sight once, for an M14. I had a few spares lying around and IIRC he had just had one rifle cut down to scout length.

He did not agree to stage a Smalls reunion show in exchange, even though I specifically asked.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

User Tag List