Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Rye Whiskey

Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    I have not. Worth a try?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Definitely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Bourbon buddy found us a bottle of High West Yippee-ki-yea (or however it's spelled).

I liked. liked the Double Rye MUCH more, for less than half the price. YMMV.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Bourbon buddy found us a bottle of High West Yippee-ki-yea (or however it's spelled).

I liked. liked the Double Rye MUCH more, for less than half the price. YMMV.
    You need to pair it with the right material...

Name:  IMG_5681.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  46.7 KB
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    Definitely!

Tried 2 stores on the way home tonight, neither had it. I'll hit my favorite candy store tomorrow. They normally have the harder to find stuff, but at premium pricing.

Tonight, we'll go local. Palm Ridge Rye. Unique flavor, not like other ryes I've had. Reminds me more of an Irish whiskey than a rye/bourbon. I like it.

Tried 2 stores on the way home tonight, neither had it. I'll hit my favorite candy store tomorrow. They normally have the harder to find stuff, but at premium pricing.

Tonight, we'll go local. Palm Ridge Rye. Unique flavor, not like other ryes I've had. Reminds me more of an Irish whiskey than a rye/bourbon. I like it.

It’s very regional. In AZ, it was hen’s teeth and $40-$50 a bottle. In Sioux Falls, SD, they assured me they always keep a steady supply due to demand and charge $28-$35.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    It’s very regional. In AZ, it was hen’s teeth and $40-$50 a bottle. In Sioux Falls, SD, they assured me they always keep a steady supply due to demand and charge $28-$35.

I googled it; it's a buffalo trace brand, so it'll be super hard to find locally. A 750ml bottle of BT around here goes for $40+ and that's when you can find it.

Last edited by jwperry; 03-22-2019 at 08:46 PM.

I googled it; it's a buffalo trace brand, so it'll be super hard to find locally. A 750ml bottle of BT around here goes for $40+ and that's when you can find it.

The regional nature of booze is crazy. I can walk into the Walgreens down the road (or any liquor store) where I’m at in in SD and get a bottle of basic Buffalo Trace for $25. Sazerac is at the majority of well stocked liquor stores for $28-$35 (that said they get a steady supply). Could be population saturation. But, it does seem that the mid west gets a lot of Sazerac (that is the parent company of BT) products.

Sazerac is my go to rye. Where I live, it gets imported once, maybe twice a year and is limited to 1 bottle per customer.

Utah is to alcohol like California is to guns. They were voting on raising the grocery store beer limit to 4.8%. People acted like there would be anarchy in the streets. I cannot wait to get out of here.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    CT might not be great on guns, but there are four good-sized packies within a mile of me.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

It's beyond regional. It's state by state, thanks to the distribution laws.

My neighboring state to the south may get 50 cases of some hypothetical special item; my state may get 3 cases. But, the demand in the "big" states makes those cases evaporate, while I might be able to get a half case or even a case for my shop. Those numbers scale up or down depending on the product, but they allow a shop in Sioux Falls to have stuff that people in NY, IL or CA dream about.

My friends in Kentucky rue the fact that you have to travel out of state for the best bourbon selections. The interstate exit numbers in Alabama and Mississippi with the best selections are a closely-guarded secret.

User Tag List