Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: K-Frame Forcing Cone

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    "A lot" is however much ammo I can get from my agency while I remain in their employ; figure, 200 rounds a quarter or so. It's free ammo, so I'll shoot however much they give me.
    C'mon, 200 rounds is just a decent range session.

It sounds like you don't reload. If you want to shoot some more, look into S&B .38 Special RNL. Back when the SSR PF was 125 in IDPA, that was the go-to load for folks who wanted to shoot factory ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    This.

Everyone has already said what I’d say about the 125 grain SJHPs going 1450fps being a different phylum, let alone animal, from the .38 125 loadings. At 6-800 rounds of .38 +P a year, It’ll outlast you.
    Yep, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't feeding it ammo that could be assessed as abusive. @rsa-otc has some Model 65s that have been in service for more than 50 years, I believe, and their condition is impressive. I want to follow along those tracks as much as I can while shooting FMJs for indoor lead reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Unless there is some inside info on this particular .38 load, I think you are confusing your agencies 125 grain +p 38 load with the old school 125 grain .357 mag loads. It was the magnum loads that were infamous for being harsh on K frames.
    I'm not confusing it....I think I probably wrote my thoughts in a confusing manner.

It's a 38+p version of the Manstopper...as in, it's the same as the Manstopper, but in 38+p instead of it's original 357 Mag form.

And, if anyone wants me to stop referring to it as the "Manstopper", I'm totally game. I think it's sort of an annoying name personally, but I'm not aware of any other well known, less stupid nickname for that load such as the 158gr+p LSWCHP being the "FBI Load" or 110gr+p+ JHP being the Treasury Load.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Yep, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't feeding it ammo that could be assessed as abusive. @rsa-otc has some Model 65s that have been in service for more than 50 years, I believe, and their condition is impressive. I want to follow along those tracks as much as I can while shooting FMJs for indoor lead reasons.

I'm not confusing it....I think I probably wrote my thoughts in a confusing manner.

It's a 38+p version of the Manstopper...as in, it's the same as the Manstopper, but in 38+p instead of it's original 357 Mag form.

And, if anyone wants me to stop referring to it as the "Manstopper", I'm totally game. I think it's sort of an annoying name personally, but I'm not aware of any other well known, less stupid nickname for that load such as the 158gr+p LSWCHP being the "FBI Load" or 110gr+p+ JHP being the Treasury Load.
    +p 38 won’t hurt your k frame. Shoot as much of it as they will give you.

Maybe... "manflopper," because there were a number of high profile failures to get the desired result with that load when it was in wider LE use.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

[QUOTE/]
    Factory support is a biggie for me. As time goes by, I wonder if S&W will support the older 19's. The lockwork is different on the current 19's as opposed to the older ones. All factory produced products is about production....getting the product out the door. And I am talking about anything factory produced, which is about everything. So if I had a 19 that I wanted to keep running forever, I would find a competent gunsmith. That can be a challenge, but reviews can be found on blogs from people who actually use a gunsmith.[/QUOTE]

Factory support for older S&W revolvers is fading fast. I think the day is soon approaching, if not already here, where you will be seeking parts on eBay because the factory no longer has them. This is already a problem for a lot of 3rd Generation S&W auto pistols. If you send some models into the factory (a Model 12 with a cracked frame for example), you'll get a certificate for a new gun instead of your old one back. Finding a good S&W gunsmith will also become harder as time goes on. We're nowhere near the problem like those with older Colt revolvers are facing, but some day in the not too distant future...
    Last edited by LtDave; 01-19-2019 at 03:35 PM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

So far I havent found parts to be much of an issue. Brownells still has some factory parts, and Power Custom makes oversize hands and cylinder locking bolts, the two main things that wear and get the guns out of time. All the parts can be had used pretty reasonably, and yes, ebay is one place to find them. Gunbroker has a lot of parts, including barrels, which Ive seen as low as $30 or so in the past year, a bit more money on a regular basis, but not anythung like crazy prices.

Smiths arent that tough to keep in basic working order if you are handy, and get good information. Yes, it can require some special tools for some things, but for the most part, it doesnt, at least for me it hasnt, including swapping some barrels. If I run into something I cant do correctly Ill take it to someone who can, theres some around.

Buying complete guns minus frame is also a way to get parts, and prices can vary widely. Ive seen them under $100 at times, but it takes a lot of looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Maybe... "manflopper," because there were a number of high profile failures to get the desired result with that load when it was in wider LE use.
    Which ones?

.38 +P doesn’t come anywhere near magnum pressures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    .38 +P doesn’t come anywhere near magnum pressures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's a heck of an observation, thanks.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by MK11 View Post
    Which ones?
    That is a job for @Mas, who undoubtably remembers one entangled fight where the officer involved delivered contact shots with 125 +P .38 rounds to less than desirable effect, among other incidents where 125 .357 would have been preferred. I don’t remember the names to do a search, myself.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List