Thread: TLR-8G

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

There's a video of Taran Butler goofing around with it

Last edited by Quotron; 01-19-2019 at 03:00 PM.

I like the size of this light—unlike the APL and XC1, it actually provides a good amount of light for its size—but I'm just not satisfied with the light activation switches. I really, really like the paddle on the TLR1, as it lets me activate the light with a downward sweep of my trigger finger, which is great for shooting SHO (and freestyle, as I don't have to compromise my support hand grip to activate it with my support thumb). On the TLR7 I bought to evaluate, I just cannot reach the switch with my trigger finger without shifting my grip, and I feel like pressing in toward the trigger guard to activate the switch increases risk of an ND, whereas I am comfortable with a downward sweep of a TLR/X300 style paddle having relatively low risk of ND.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    What is the purpose of the L-shaped body on the Protac 90? I've old school military flashlights in this shape so I assume it is particularly useful in certain settings - I just can't think of any.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    What is the purpose of the L-shaped body on the Protac 90? I've old school military flashlights in this shape so I assume it is particularly useful in certain settings - I just can't think of any.
    The old school mil flashlights (moonbeams) were bent 90 deg at the light with the batteries weighing down the bottom so one could clip the back to your load bearing equipment (sort of suspenders at the time) to keep the hands free while what’s in front of you is lighted.

But I have no relevant info on the protac 90.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Streamlight
    Attach to MOLLE, belts, harnesses or other gear for hands-free use
    Source: https://www.streamlight.com/en/produ...ndex/protac-90

These in stock yet for purchase?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I like the size of this light—unlike the APL and XC1, it actually provides a good amount of light for its size—but I'm just not satisfied with the light activation switches. I really, really like the paddle on the TLR1, as it lets me activate the light with a downward sweep of my trigger finger, which is great for shooting SHO (and freestyle, as I don't have to compromise my support hand grip to activate it with my support thumb). On the TLR7 I bought to evaluate, I just cannot reach the switch with my trigger finger without shifting my grip, and I feel like pressing in toward the trigger guard to activate the switch increases risk of an ND, whereas I am comfortable with a downward sweep of a TLR/X300 style paddle having relatively low risk of ND.
    Along similar lines, I really wish Streamlight would come out with a better grip switch interface for this model as well as their larger pistol lights.

The Surefire DG switches are simply light years better than the Streamlight version and are frankly the main reason I prefer Surefire pistol lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Tag List