Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Cobra

Site Supporter

Old Cobra

used, abused, needing work but within the price range of an old pensioner, this old cobra found a home. I don't know its history other than made in 51 but I do know it shoots 38sp 158 gr swc's point of aim point of impact. yep, I carry it sometimes, cause I've been gettin kilt in the streets for years.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Man, that is beautiful!

Sweet. A piece after my own heart.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Glad it went to someone who can appreciate it. I like Colts as well.

When you say it needs work, do you mean cosmetically, mechanically, or both?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter

Old Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Glad it went to someone who can appreciate it. I like Colts as well.

When you say it needs work, do you mean cosmetically, mechanically, or both?

The add said “works in double action, doesn’t work single action”. I thought “that can’t be too hard to fix”.

Once in my hands and inspecting it I noticed that the bolt screw had backed out.

A detailed disassembly confirmed the observation. After cleaning (I have never seen a revolver so gunked up and still working, backed out bolt screw excluded) and reassembled the old cobra functioned correctly.

The cobra is sporting pf approved orange painted front sight and I might get some wood grips for it. Gonna leave the finish as is, I like the beat to hell but still works look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by serialsolver; 01-18-2019 at 10:09 PM.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Great find and rescue!
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Classic old Roscoe.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by serialsolver View Post
    The add said “works in double action, doesn’t work single action”. I thought “that can’t be too hard to fix”.

Once in my hands and inspecting it I noticed that the bolt screw had backed out.

A detailed disassembly confirmed the observation. After cleaning (I have never seen a revolver so gunked up and still working, backed out bolt screw excluded) and reassembled the old cobra functioned correctly.

The cobra is sporting pf approved orange painted front sight and I might get some wood grips for it. Gonna leave the finish as is, I like the beat to hell but still works look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That is he best kind of problem to encounter: one that likely caused the seller to reduce his price but that was easily fixed.

If you are carrying this gun, I might suggest refinishing it with something that will protect it from rust. However, if it is concealed, generally protected from weather, and properly cared for, it may be fine as is. If it were my gun, I would be undecided about the best finish to use.

Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

If you are carrying this gun, I might suggest refinishing it with something that will protect it from rust.
    I was thinking the same thing.

Old guns like this aren't growing on trees; my thoughts are that it should be protected instead of letting it go to waste. Anyone who's been in the military with thoroughly worn rifles can attest that bare steel can develop rust within a matter of hours once sweat is applied. I remember we used to frequently fail inspection because of it. We'd be in formation so long that the later half of the platoon would always fail for rust on the barrels; they had developed surface rust while we were standing there.

If that gun gets exposed to any moisture while carrying, its condition is going to rapidly deteriorate.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

That is he best kind of problem to encounter: one that likely caused the seller to reduce his price but that was easily fixed.

If you are carrying this gun, I might suggest refinishing it with something that will protect it from rust. However, if it is concealed, generally protected from weather, and properly cared for, it may be fine as is. If it were my gun, I would be undecided about the best finish to use.

While I would refinish that revolver, the OP mentioned that he is a pensioner. As such, the expense of finishing may be an issue. If so, I can recommend the use of Renaissance Wax, or, even less expensive, SC Johnson Paste Wax. The wax does a good job of keeping oxygen and water from the metal. I use the Renaissance Wax on blued pistols that see lots of handling, such as my Bullseye guns. No rust or corrosion even in the heat and humidity of an Alabama summer.

https://www.amazon.com/Renaissance-W...enaissance+wax

https://www.amazon.com/SC-Johnson-00...nson+paste+wax

The pictures are the reason why I started using waxes.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by farscott; 01-19-2019 at 08:22 AM.

User Tag List