Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold steel does the "sexy Sax (sic) prank"

Cold steel does the "sexy Sax (sic) prank"

You folks would have to know how I feel about Cold Steel, in general, to truly appreciate my next statement. I think I want one of these:

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/CS8...ather-scabbard

Damascus and Rosewood. 17 1/4" blade. Even the Taurus of sharp things hits a home run on occasion.

The bunk.... I'll be in it
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

ps:

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

That may be the least offensive thing I've ever seen from CS. Nice Bowie trying to pose as a seax.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Even the Taurus of sharp things hits a home run on occasion.
    I dunno if that's a fair statement about Cold Steal...err Cold Steel - at least Taurus occasionally makes novel products. I'm not sure Lynn Thompson has ever had a novel idea in his head that didn't involve food.

You want a sweet Seax? https://www.wulflund.com/weapons/sae...ted-seax.html/

Never get out of the boat, unless you're goin' all the way.

Petr Florianik

Jeff Helms

Site Supporter

Cold steel does the "sexy Sax (sic) prank"

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    That may be the least offensive thing I've ever seen from CS. Nice Bowie trying to pose as a seax.
    Since I know that historical swords are one of your interests, what would you expect to see in something being marketed as a seax?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 01-19-2019 at 12:56 AM.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Since I know that historical swords are one of your interests, what would you expect to see in something being marketed as a seax?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The CS offering really isn't bad in it's blade profile. Although the spine of a Seax blade won't typically widen towards the point like that, but rather maintain a straight profile. That's actually pretty close regarding the cutting edge and the clipped point. Not all Seax featured a clipped point, but that really is one of the defining features to the modern eye. However, blade profiles like the two I posted are also known. The hilt design of the CS is a bit of a departure from established norms and is more sword like than Seaxish, with the upper and lower guards along with a pommel cap. There are a couple of excavated samples from England that have those features, but the classic Scandinavian Seax typically features a straight grip without guards, with the occasional ferrule at the blade end, much like the hilt on the second photo. That's more of the classic Seax grip. The CS is also a CG rendering, so I'll be interested to see what the finished product looks like. In spite of an anachronistic design elements it's actually a nice looking piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    The CS offering really isn't bad in it's blade profile. Although the spine of a Seax blade won't typically widen towards the point like that, but rather maintain a straight profile. That's actually pretty close regarding the cutting edge and the clipped point. Not all Seax featured a clipped point, but that really is one of the defining features to the modern eye. However, blade profiles like the two I posted are also known. The hilt design of the CS is a bit of a departure from established norms and is more sword like than Seaxish, with the upper and lower guards along with a pommel cap. There are a couple of excavated samples from England that have those features, but the classic Scandinavian Seax typically features a straight grip without guards, with the occasional ferrule at the blade end, much like the hilt on the second photo. That's more of the classic Seax grip. The CS is also a CG rendering, so I'll be interested to see what the finished product looks like. In spite of an anachronistic design elements it's actually a nice looking piece.
    I had to Google Seax, so I'm obviously ignorant about these. What role did they serve for their owners? Were they equivalent to a dagger, or a Bowie? Were they used in concert with a longer sword, or as back up?

On a more general note, Cold Steel makes some junk, but I've always like their Steel Voyager line. Especially the older versions. I carried a 4" tanto clipped inside my waistband for the 10,000 mile surf trip I did through Mexico. It served me well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    I had to Google Seax, so I'm obviously ignorant about these. What role did they serve for their owners? Were they equivalent to a dagger, or a Bowie? Were they used in concert with a longer sword, or as back up?
    some were straight-up swords. Others were knives, and some (like Bowies) were short swords.

I'm no expert, but I have doubts as to the historicity of a Damascus bladed Seax...
    Last edited by Drang; 01-20-2019 at 04:55 AM.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Regarding the quality of Cold Steel products, I think this video speaks volumes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4DNRn-sK-c

Cold Steel's product did rather well as compared to a much more expensive, much more generally highly regarded knife.

Benchmade and Spyderco knives did much better in similar tests, although not quite as good as Cold Steel.

Spyderco:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTt4sYrP1dA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rvon6CoeHk

Benchmade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-HjX6Hq_GM

Zero Tolerance, showing another frame lock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIPmwS3N9q4

Spyderco and Benchmade did well enough so that I would not hesitate to carry either, and a Waved Delica is still my choice for places with a 3" blade length limit. Clearly, however, Cold Steel is not junk.

I have personally owned numerous Spyderco Knives, as well as some Benchmade axis lock Knives, Emerson knives, the former Masters of Defense knives, and briefly owned a Zero Tolerance knife that I returned the day after I bought it. I have also owned some older Cold Steel Voyagers, an older Recon 1 (ultra lock), a TI Lite, and a couple of recently purchased Storm Cloud knives. The Recon 1 has seen significant use, and it still doing fine. The Storm Clouds are the absolute nicest folding knives I have owned.

User Tag List