Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M-19 Carry Comp

Site Supporter

M-19 Carry Comp

I was going to add my question to the M-66 thread but decided it would be more polite to start a separate thread, and I'm all about politeness (smile).

Has anyone here seen, handled, fired or own one of the new M-19 Carry Comp revolvers? Looks like it might be a handy carry gun to shoot a lot and not worry about (no collector status). I can always "Plug" the hole if it comes to that.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave T; 01-18-2019 at 01:09 PM.

Site Supporter
    Apparently no one has shelled out the $900+ to get one of these. Oh well, I'm not that much of a fan of K-frames, especially with locks, but I like that it has a full length ejector. Because of that I was curious about how it handles and how effective the comp is at reducing muzzle climb.

A number of years ago I had a 586 Carry Comp that shot decently, because it was pretty heavy. I eventually sold it for that same reason. I was interested in finding out if this is lighter enough to be worth considering. And no, I can't use a J-frame. Hands are too big.

Dave

I think you could have added to the 66 thread being the 19 is just a blued 66, but this is no mere 19. It’s a Performance Center 19.

Pictures are always a good thing.

I like the 19 a lot. And being it is a performance center handgun, the action should be pretty solid. I’m on a G48 mission right now, but when that’s all settled down, I will be getting a revolver. I thought it would be the 66, but the 19 keeps rearing it’s head and saying consider me. All the reviews I’ve read on it have been very positive.

I had the .44 Carry Comp. The comp keeps things nice and flat when shooting magnum ammo.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

I do like the three compensated Performance Center revolvers I have. They are a 3" F Comp 66, a 3" F Comp 67, and a 2.5" F Comp 642. They are all very easy to shoot, and have excellent triggers.

Plugging the lock hole is not difficult, and does not impact the trigger. I have it done on all my revolvers that come that was from the factory.

I am currently haggling over a 3" F Comp 586 with a friend. That's going to be another combination of whiskey and cash for it, I fear.

I would say snag the model 19. I do not thing you would lose a lot of money if you decided to flip it.

I have owned samples of the original K-Comp (19-7) from when they were released in the early 1990s. I carried mine in a Kramer MSP holster. Those revolvers are sweet shooters, with great actions from the S&W Performance Center. The tritium insert is recessed in the front sight to protect the insert from debris from the compensator. It is fairly easy to swap the tritium insert when age requires it. The edges are nicely broken on most of the gun. The biggest negative is the adjustable rear sight, which shreds cover garments. I had the guns refinished in NP3 because the bead-blast blued looked good but was useless in the rain and humidity of the southern US.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the feedback farscott. It's probably time to try and find one to examine and handle.

Dave

I’ve eyeballed them heavily, too, but the carbon steel is a deal-breaker for me. I’m not ponying up $1k or a “carry gun” and ship it off for refinish.

A 3” Model 65 comp with a replaceable front night sight would make eminently more sense. If they REALLY wanted to sell them build em DAO like the 640 with no lock.

But common sense doesn’t appear to be common place in Springfield.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    I’ve eyeballed them heavily, too, but the carbon steel is a deal-breaker for me. I’m not ponying up $1k or a “carry gun” and ship it off for refinish.

A 3” Model 65 comp with a replaceable front night sight would make eminently more sense. If they REALLY wanted to sell them build em DAO like the 640 with no lock.

But common sense doesn’t appear to be common place in Springfield.
    FIFY
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    I’ve eyeballed them heavily, too, but the carbon steel is a deal-breaker for me.
    Since I live in central Arizona blue steel guns are not that hard to live with. (smile)

Dave

User Tag List