Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yesterday's Working Pistols

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Would you consider these things safe to carry cocked and locked?
    I am going to give you an emphatic no, from personal knowledge.

In the town where I grew up and earned my first EMT credentials, Paris, KY, an off duty officer was killed by one.

Sgt. Fredrick fell down a short flight of stone steps when we had some late for the season ice. His cocked and locked .380 Colt Pocket was in a vertical shoulder holster as I recall and it hit the ground hard as he was falling and discharged. The bullet traversed his lower abdomen. A friend of mine was the EMT who picked him up, he was conscious, another close friend from those days was a fellow officer and was the investigator of record.

Clay survived the surgery and appeared to be recovering, but sepsis and a blood clot got him about a week after the incident. I have often wondered if he would have survived today because of better surgeons, better antibiotics, etc. etc. Or if he had been transferred to a better hospital in Lexington instead of the hack half ass small town hospital we had. There were no such things as trauma centers or real trauma surgeons in our part of the world in those days.

https://www.odmp.org/officer/5095-se...clay-frederick

Without a doubt the fall caused the discharge, I have no idea if the gun had been "worked on" or was factory stock, but there is little doubt the sear did not hold the hammer in that hard fall and tumble.

The 1903 started out without a half cock notch on the hammer. I guess Mr Browning figured it would not be of use on a concealed hammer.
    One was added in 1922 to improve drop safety. Those guns are somewhat comparable to the "Series 70" (pre 1983) Government Models.

Anecdote Alert: The redoubtable Col. Charles Askins reported carrying a Woodsman with "go to hell trigger job" in a shoulder holster. All he did was bump the rig with his elbow to get it in position out of sight under his coat. It fired and sent a .22 LR through his butt and down his thigh a ways; 11 inches penetration. He went to the hospital and said the doctor pulling an iodine swab through the wound hurt worse than the bullet.

My Woodsman is a target pistol and my 1903 a novelty item, I don't carry them.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Sat in the holster, no kidding. Looks like it sat in that holster for 16 years without being removed!
    I know! I was expecting it to be 4-5 years old. Guess the shooting/training culture on the outskirts of Boston isn't the strongest.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Name:  5906-1.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  69.1 KB

Name:  5906-2.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  63.0 KB

The .32 was considered an OK round...

I’d feel perfectly safe carrying one today. Countless people have been killed by .32 rounds. Korean President Park Chung-hee was killed in 1979, with a .32 PPK. Humans haven’t evolved into having thicker skins since 1900, and if was good then, it’s good now. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ons_by_firearm
    Last edited by FrankB; 01-18-2019 at 12:47 PM.

My thought on yesterday’s pistol would be a Gen 4 Glock and a type 1 RMR.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    I know! I was expecting it to be 4-5 years old. Guess the shooting/training culture on the outskirts of Boston isn't the strongest.
    LOL...no kidding! there's no culture left at all. The town I live in (one of the suburbs) issues it's officers exactly 46 rounds of duty ammunition (armorer has to account for 4 rounds per box) and limits the training ammunition to ZERO (outside of annual training/qualification).

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Ah, an excuse to show my old Colts!
    Attachment 34315

Top is a refinished 1903 .32, and bottom is a refinished 1908 .380.
    I sadly broke the pearl grips shooting, and since replaced them with a repo set of hard rubber grips.

I love shooting both.
    IDGAF what Patton says..... that gun looks great with pearl. Shame about it breaking.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My thought on yesterday’s pistol would be a Gen 4 Glock and a type 1 RMR.
    Wait... isn't yesterday's pistol for you like something that was released 6 months ago?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The 32ACP effective? The Browning 1900 was the choice
    of Allied trench raiders during WW1. That and a trench knife.

Below is the Beholla 32ACP that many German officers carried. Below that is the Colt Marshall 38SPEC revolver my father carried patrolling the streets of New York City in the 1950’s.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

User Tag List