Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New S&W 6.5" 25-5 .45 Colt revolver or a 1982 vintage 6" version of the same model?

New S&W 6.5" 25-5 .45 Colt revolver or a 1982 vintage 6" version of the same model?

Hi,

I need some help. I'm looking at 2 S&W .45 Colt 25-5 revolvers and I can't seem to make up my mind. They're virtually identical with the exception of the very lightly used one being a 6" revolver built around 1982. The other would be a brand new revolver ordered thru my FFL.
    There's a ~$180 savings on the used one.

Were the early 80's revolvers built right? Should I be concerned that there's virtually zero warranty on it being that S&W won't honor a gun that old?

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

Sent from my SAMSUNG using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    Hi,

I need some help. I'm looking at 2 S&W .45 Colt 25-5 revolvers and I can't seem to make up my mind. They're virtually identical with the exception of the very lightly used one being a 6" revolver built around 1982. The other would be a brand new revolver ordered thru my FFL.
    There's a ~$180 savings on the used one.

Were the early 80's revolvers built right? Should I be concerned that there's virtually zero warranty on it being that S&W won't honor a gun that old?

I'd appreciate your thoughts on this.

My impression is the 80's were not exactly glory years. I'd still pick the older gun I can touch first. My $0.02
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Older 25-5 all the way. Do some searches on GunBroker for the model to get an idea what they are selling for (not asking price with no bids). You can choose to search on completed auctions to get an idea of selling price.

I bought a 25-7 a couple years ago (model of 1989) and I love it.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    There are some serial number ranges with oversized throats, IIRC. A search of the S&W forum would probably reveal more info on that.

I'd always go for a no-keyhole S&W, though, unless you're going to shoot it just a metric butt-ton. Pre-locks are collectibles. Locks are just used guns. The used market reacts accordingly.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    There are some serial number ranges with oversized throats, IIRC. A search of the S&W forum would probably reveal more info on that.
    This. Oversized throats can drive you up the wall.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post

I'd always go for a no-keyhole S&W, though, unless you're going to shoot it just a metric butt-ton. Pre-locks are collectibles. Locks are just used guns. The used market reacts accordingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    This. Oversized throats can drive you up the wall.

Okie John
    What are the chances S&W would replace it or even sell a new cylinder for an older model? I would think pretty good, but I don't really know. I do know they were selling titanium cylinders for older 625 models until they ran out. I'd be OK purchasing new cylinder to get into a no-lock gun.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartan1980 View Post
    What are the chances S&W would replace it or even sell a new cylinder for an older model? I would think pretty good, but I don't really know. I do know they were selling titanium cylinders for older 625 models until they ran out. I'd be OK purchasing new cylinder to get into a no-lock gun.
    This isn't an area I'm competent in, so I'm the wrong guy to ask. Sorry.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

It's a non-pinned barred with a serial number that starts with N9037 so according to what I've read on the S&W forums it should the correct diameters in the cylinder.
    I appreciate all of your replies.

Site Supporter
    Go for the older one!

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    My impression is the 80's were not exactly glory years. I'd still pick the older gun I can touch first. My $0.02

Good point. I remember being a kid reading gun rags in the 1980s and everyone lamenting the Bangor Punta era. That said, Bangor Punta > than lock.

User Tag List