Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New S&W 6.5" 25-5 .45 Colt revolver or a 1982 vintage 6" version of the same model?

Buy the old one. If the cylinder throats are too large, buy a Model 29 cylinder of similar vintage and have it rechambered to 45 Colt.

I am a sucker for older S&W revolver and pistols. So my vote is for the older revolver, but it is an emotional vote.

Honestly, it's a crap shoot either way. Post 1980 was a low point for S&W in terms of QC. It *shouldn't* have issues with chamber throat dimensions coming from that era, but there's no way to say for certain. I've also seen new production Smiths with some pretty atrocious QC, so there's that as well.

Personally, I'd go for the older one since I prefer them for a myriad of reasons. If I find one with any issues I can fix it myself, other than major structural problems. The new production gun has the advantage of still being supported by the manufacturer, so there's pros and cons either way. Anymore, I try to avoid buying guns I can't have in my own hands first.
    Last edited by Trooper224; 01-22-2019 at 11:41 AM.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Id choose the older one, none of the major parts are difficult to find, and wear parts like hands and locking bolts are being reproduced.

Another possibilty, it may just shoot very well with less than desirable throat or chamber sizes. My older 45 Blackhawk had the typical sloppy chambers and throats, but shoots very well. Any expense of change is more in the name of want than need. Im not sure whatever the cost to get a new(used) cylinder fitted and bored tightly would be recouped yet over the past 30 years in brass cost from the chambers being looser than desirable. I cant fault how it shoots.

Name:  Ruger 45 target.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  62.3 KB

I took another look at it yesterday afternoon. I was told to check the end shake and it was minimal to none and no problem with the hammer let off. Unfortunately, a .45 ACP 230 gr bullet fell thru the chambers and when putting it in from the front it was not even close to snug. Way too much wiggle room. Now I'm wondering if I grabbed a .44 Mag Speer Gold Dot bullet instead of .45 Speer Gold Dot bullet. I forgot to try it in the muzzle to double check.

Sent from my SAMSUNG using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
    I took another look at it yesterday afternoon. I was told to check the end shake and it was minimal to none and no problem with the hammer let off. Unfortunately, a .45 ACP 230 gr bullet fell thru the chambers and when putting it in from the front it was not even close to snug. Way too much wiggle room. Now I'm wondering if I grabbed a .44 Mag Speer Gold Dot bullet instead of .45 Speer Gold Dot bullet. I forgot to try it in the muzzle to double check.

Sent from my SAMSUNG using Tapatalk
    I wouldn't let the chamber throat issue dissuade me, if everything else checked out. I have a couple of guns with chamber throat tolerance issues and they're nail drivers. It's also hardly difficult to use cast bullets upsized by a couple thousandths of an inch to solve the issue.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List