Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flying? Please checks your bags and gear!

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    It is kinda funny when traveling with a firearm to watch them swab the firearm case that they know (because you have just shown it to them) is a firearm case. I've never had them object to any residue that was picked up. Maybe I need to be dirtier at the range...
    The chemicals they're swabbing for aren't common in smokeless powder projectiles.

You'd kick off the sensor though if you worked in landscaping/agriculture and just come from an area with freshly fertilized vegetation.

Yeah, I have a 'sanitized' backpack that is used for nothing but flight carry-on. If it saw any everyday use, it would inevitably wind up with weapons or ammo in it.

Then the challenge is keeping the bag sanitized -- after arriving at my destination, arming up from my checked bag, and carrying the backpack around...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LorenzoS View Post
    Perhaps he realized the mistake before leaving the sterile area in Japan, then got onto the next flight home without having to go through security.
    It was a she.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    Yeah, I have a 'sanitized' backpack that is used for nothing but flight carry-on. If it saw any everyday use, it would inevitably wind up with weapons or ammo in it.

Then the challenge is keeping the bag sanitized -- after arriving at my destination, arming up from my checked bag, and carrying the backpack around...
    That’s how I got burned.

Years back i was finishing my undergrad. Had a roommate and shared an apartment, which meant it was impossible to secure a gun besides the one I was legally carrying . As using a gun safe was impractical due to being barred from structural alterations to the unit, I elected to borrow someone else’s; a local banks security deposit box.

That was how my “no guns bag” wound up with a mag and gun in it- I took delivery of a fresh pistol from an FFL and elected to shoot it the same day. So I had my “no gun bag” used normally for school , a pistol box and my spare mag. Once I finished shooting and went back to the bank I realized I’d screwed myself; I’d either have to walk into the bank with an obvious pistol box and probably end up on the news, or use my book bag to transfer the goods discreetly.

That’s how a magazine of 9mm wound up in it , and went unnoticed until the Fateful Day.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    It was a she.
    Hopefully she wasn't

•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

Triggered

By my assumption of her gender.

*Dead horse beating intensifies*

I guess I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around using a range bag for a carry on or even a checked bag for that matter. My range bags get caked in dirt and mud, I find gravel in the pockets etc. They're full of empty brass, loose rounds, gun lube. There's no way I'm going to take the time to try to clean them up and out enough to take on vacation or a business trip.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    *Dead horse beating intensifies*

I guess I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around using a range bag for a carry on or even a checked bag for that matter. My range bags get caked in dirt and mud, I find gravel in the pockets etc. They're full of empty brass, loose rounds, gun lube. There's no way I'm going to take the time to try to clean them up and out enough to take on vacation or a business trip.
    Many people keep a gun or an extra mag in an everyday carry bag/backpack/briefcase on a regular basis.

Many people who are not PF type shooters don’t have dedicated range bags. On their annual, biannual etc range trip they put their stuff in their EDC bag they use for everything else. Months later they use the same edc bag as a carryon just like they do it for everything else not realizing the have had been walking around loose ammo or a mag etc in there for months.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Or their work takes them to places where nobody would hear them scream, with lots of high-value, high-utility, shiny and attractive consumer goods, and they carry defensive equipment in the same bags as their professional equipment, which they will later fly with.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 01-19-2019 at 11:56 AM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Two friends have had the "gun in non-rangebag syndrome".

One, pre 9/11, inadvertently took her Glock 26 to Thailand and back unnoticed by then airport "security."

I had driven the other to the airport. She had her LCP X-rayed by TSA. I had stuck around to wave goodbye as she vanished down the concourse, so when she was apprehended, I stayed in the expectation of taking her home, if she did not end in lockup. After interviews by TSA, airport security, city police, and FBI, she was actually allowed to catch the next plane and I was allowed to take her pistol home with me.
    She later got notice of a $3500 "civil penalty." After some correspondence, it was reduced to $1500, then waived entirely.
    And she didn't even end up on a watchlist, has flown since with no unusual attention.

Her sister is a different matter. A redhead with a pronounced Southern accent, she frequently gets singled out for extra attention. One inspector admitted she was chosen to prove they were not profiling swarthy males.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Many people keep a gun or an extra mag in an everyday carry bag/backpack/briefcase on a regular basis.

Many people who are not PF type shooters don’t have dedicated range bags. On their annual, biannual etc range trip they put their stuff in their EDC bag they use for everything else. Months later they use the same edc bag as a carryon just like they do it for everything else not realizing the have had been walking around loose ammo or a mag etc in there for months.
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Or their work takes them to places where nobody would hear them scream, with lots of high-value, high-utility, shiny and attractive consumer goods, and they carry defensive equipment in the same bags as their professional equipment, which they will later fly with.
    Considering the consequences, it's a pretty big lapse in judgement to not make sure the bag you've had gun stuff in doesn't have any gun stuff still in at when you get to the airport.

User Tag List