Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flying? Please checks your bags and gear!

Flying? Please checks your bags and gear!

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/01/13/us/...project.org%2F

By all appearances, this Georgia woman made a human mistake and flew to Japan and back with a pistol in her carry on. With TSA personnel impacted due to the shutdown, please gun guys and gals...check your bags and luggage. CNNs typical clientele won’t get this , but it’s far too easy to forget about that loaded mag at the bottom of today’s carryon which was last weeks range bag. I don’t want to consider the international consequences of landing in the UK with a forgotten Sig or ammo, and I doubt most here would either.

Please, no snarky macho comments about illegal CCW on airplanes or political side discussions about the shutdown either. This thread exists as a reminder, from someone who nearly drove to the airport years ago with a loaded Beretta mag in a forgotten bag pocket .
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Minimal snark intended:

Don't use your carry-on bag as a range bag, if at all avoidable. Get a dedicated range/shooting gear bag and a separate travel bag.

That's my advice.

It means having more bags, yes, but it also means minimal or no incidental contact with gunpowder or various other nasties from the gun range, no spent brass lodged in the bottom of your bag, and no magazines left behind, no loaded guns left behind, etc.

I keep only a single spare knife in my daily bag and that's the only non-carry-on-legal item in my entire bag. So, when I get ready for the airport the night before my trip, I take the spare blade out and leave it at home (it's also a $25 Kershaw-Emerson, should I forget it and it gets seized at TSA).

We can all be forgetful at times and international travel tends to be high stress for most folks (myself included). Don't make it harder on yourself than you need it to be.

FYI: Ikea has these cheap backpacks - https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80313568/ - which make for great range bags or travel bags. The price there is higher than what I've found in the store (they're usually 15 bucks in the store). Spray it with some Scotchguard and you've got a perfectly viable travel bag. If traveling light, I've found I can easily pack five days of clothes and toiletries into these backpacks, plus the assorted accountrement of traveling in today's high-tech world.

As a range bag I can stuff my competition belt with holster attached inside the bag, plus mags, ammo, and the gun, with room left over for a spare gun and/or more stuff (I don't like carrying dedicated "range bags" in and out of an apartment building).

I have three of these bags (all in black) and differentiate them with different paracord colors on the pulls. One for traveling. One for the range. One as a BOB.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I've heard a story about a guy who, long before 9/11, was repacking his carry-on bag in Europe to come back and found a mag full of 9mm at the bottom.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Remember the cartoon about the old guy inadvertently bringing a revolver in his bag to England?

I looked for it, but I can't find it.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/01/13/us/...project.org%2F

By all appearances, this Georgia woman made a human mistake and flew to Japan and back with a pistol in her carry on. With TSA personnel impacted due to the shutdown, please gun guys and gals...check your bags and luggage. CNNs typical clientele won’t get this , but it’s far too easy to forget about that loaded mag at the bottom of today’s carryon which was last weeks range bag. I don’t want to consider the international consequences of landing in the UK with a forgotten Sig or ammo, and I doubt most here would either.

Please, no snarky macho comments about illegal CCW on airplanes or political side discussions about the shutdown either. This thread exists as a reminder, from someone who nearly drove to the airport years ago with a loaded Beretta mag in a forgotten bag pocket .
    Some questions:
    1. Who goes to Japan for the day?
    2. Did this person return from Japan with the weapon? If so, how did they manage that?
    3. Why did this person say anything? I like to think that I'd see something like this as a golden opportunity to STFU.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    I was flying out of Vegas at the tail end of DefCon a couple years ago, and as I'm looking at the patches on a guy's MOLLE-d up tactical carryon, I spotted something. I tapped him on the shoulder and asked 'How in the world did you get that TDI knife through security?' . Poor guy turned white as a sheet.

I flew earlier this month, and I was sweating it a little because the IFAK in my carryon had been to the range once or twice this year. I need another bag and another set of stuff.
    'Nobody ever called the fire department because they did something intelligent'

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Some questions:
    1. Who goes to Japan for the day?
    2. Did this person return from Japan with the weapon? If so, how did they manage that?
    3. Why did this person say anything? I like to think that I'd see something like this as a golden opportunity to STFU.

Okie John
    Perhaps he realized the mistake before leaving the sterile area in Japan, then got onto the next flight home without having to go through security.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Remember the cartoon about the old guy inadvertently bringing a revolver in his bag to England?

I looked for it, but I can't find it.
    It’s called Dan’s Vacation

http://martianmagazine.com/comic/dans-vacation/

Name:  961944D5-97F9-4A64-B5D2-14A27897A0A6.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  55.2 KB
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Don't use your carry-on bag as a range bag, if at all avoidable. Get a dedicated range/shooting gear bag and a separate travel bag.
    Yup, agree completely. I can't fathom why people use a range back as a carry-on or vice versa.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by LorenzoS View Post
    Perhaps he realized the mistake before leaving the sterile area in Japan, then got onto the next flight home without having to go through security.
    Makes sense.

I once made it through security with a stripper clip of 9.3x62 ammo. I didn't know whether there was a penalty for passing through security with it, but I was pretty sure that boarding a plane would have completed the offense, so I went straight to the Men's Room and threw it away.

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 01-17-2019 at 03:51 PM.
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List